Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I knew it was going to come down, but I was almost empty so HAD to fill it today.

Just call me lucky......

You could have flintstoned it until the price dropped.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 06:07 PM
we have started shopping at lidles. ok cant read the writing on alot of the tins. but the foods good and alot cheaper, they do specials on some of the beers (keeps OH happy)
the fruit n veg is always cheap.
i also use aldies they do so good lines as well.
and i use my own bags so no-one knows where ive been LOL
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
and i use my own bags so no-one knows where ive been LOL
That made me laugh

I am a bit of a food snob my Mum whinges all the time as she likes Aldi and Lidl.
My bill is going up and up around £120 a week now 2 adults and 2 kids and that doesnt include the dogs
And now Tescos make me beg for a bag.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 08:55 PM
hiya

our food bills are ridiculous, I have started using aldi and lidl - they are fantastic - totally not a food snob now.

Really struggling with the meat though - i want to buy free range but can barely afford to buy normal !!! so we have had less meat than ever before.

I do like aldi though there stuff is just as good if not better than tesco and the like.

I also agree with the drop a brand thing

dani
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 05:50 AM
I'm such a snob, I would have never considered Aldi or Lidl or, perish the thought, Netto.

However, Jackie's DiL uses Aldi and swears by it.

I wonder if they deliver........
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Aldi and Lidl are great!
Their fruit and veg is lovely, and seems to last longer than Tesco!
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I use Netto, Lidl and Aldi, and then nip into either asda or tescos to get things i really can't get there (ie the gluten free stuff for my house mate)

I've cut the bills down loads doing this - yes, it takes a bit more time, but is worth it.

As for petrol - asda and morrisons have dropped their prices to £1.13.9 for unleaded, tesco and sainsburies are following - though at present it is 5p a litre less when you spend £50 in store which is a bit of pain as our weekly shopping doesn't come close to that much.

as far as meat goes, we've virtually gone back to being veggie, save for when i get to the bargin shelves in the main supermarket then will by up what i can and freeze it.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:06 AM
We are using Netto and Aldi's now too...........well Netto a stones throw away from us.....and food bills can be cut in half.

Only thing they don't do for us....is Chappie. Terrible But my local corner shop offered to get it...good man
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hiya

our food bills are ridiculous, I have started using aldi and lidl - they are fantastic - totally not a food snob now.

Really struggling with the meat though - i want to buy free range but can barely afford to buy normal !!! so we have had less meat than ever before.

I do like aldi though there stuff is just as good if not better than tesco and the like.

I also agree with the drop a brand thing

dani
Hi Dani, have you thought about hunting around for any nearby farm shops, there must be one around somewhere? I can honestly say, the meat is not only much nicer, but much cheaper (no middle man I suppose?!). You might be surprised if you take a trip to one! The one near to me is obviously organic because they farm all their own animals, and the meat tastes as it should, unlike Tesco's!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi Dani, have you thought about hunting around for any nearby farm shops, there must be one around somewhere? I can honestly say, the meat is not only much nicer, but much cheaper (no middle man I suppose?!). You might be surprised if you take a trip to one! The one near to me is obviously organic because they farm all their own animals, and the meat tastes as it should, unlike Tesco's!
unfortunately he most local farm food has the most expensive chickens !!! they are about £16 for a whoile chickn !!AARRGG - I actually order online from one about 25 miles away who deliver but i buy 4 at a time and freeze them as they charge approx £6 for a whole free range chicken - which is fantastic !!!

i agree though it tastes better and i am happier knowing where it comes from.,,,
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >