View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marco55
New Member!
Male 

15-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok, your future father in law is close but not quite there.
Firstly the 2012 thing is based on the Mayan calendar not the Aztecs.
Secondly, the poles of the earth sometimes flip over. The equator would stay in the same place!
When this happens, and yes this is a real possibility to happen in your lifetime, the process can take hundreds of years. During this time, the earth loses its magnetic field and solar radiation would slowly destroy vegetation. The food chain relies on this vegetation and therefore life could be extinguished. The planets don't line up. The dinosaurs were killed by an impact from a large meteor or comet which threw up debris into the atmosphere which blocked out the sunlight affecting vegetation and possibly starting an ice age.
The biggest threat that you are facing is starvation or plundering due to peak oil. Look at lifeaftertheoilcrash.net or peakoil.com
Drive carefully and look properly for on coming busses when crossing the road. Only board an airplane with 2 wings etc.

Originally Posted by SibeLuver03 View Post
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I was at my mother-in-laws house and her "boyfriend" thing was having a ton of fun freaking me out. Apparently, he had watched a program on the History channel that was saying scientests are guessing that in the year 2012, all of the planets will line up with the sun, all in a single line together. According to the program, the last time the planets all alined was several million years ago. Estimates say that when the planets lined up was about the same time period the dinosaurs were wiped out. The program is guessing that in 2012 when the planets line up, the north and south poles of the earth will flip and will become the equator instead. If this happens in a matter of hours or days, all life on earth is done for. However, if this flip happens over a period of months or years, we will be able to adjust with it.

I don't know what to think. However, I find such perdictions incredibly interesting and would sit down for hours to just listen to such theories and predictions.

So, what do you all think? Will the earth be doomed or is it all a tall tale? Is it even possible?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I agree with Sibeluver03 I find these things fascinating. I remember my OH telling me about the poles flipping mmaybe about 2 years ago and I thought he was talking rubbish and in a moment of boredom googled it Then got quite scared

The whole 2012 thing then came to my notice and I watched a programme about it too. I know it is sensationalism (if that's the right word) and that we can't do anything about it but it did freak me a wee bit BUT then you're right there have been "end of the world is nigh" prophecies throughout time, and no doubt will be more after 2012 (I hope!!!)

I do find it interesting though that the Mayan calendar ends on 23.12.12. Kind of specific...like its not the end of a year (though I suppose it may be the end of a Mayan year???) Hmmm
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Jehovah witnesses have predicted the end of the world (armegeddon) many times over the last century or so and we're still here now so i shouldnt worry too much about it...
i love those guys - they are a hoot arent they

I ignore predictions of any type but when its time to go its time to go - I just hope all the questions raised by Lost have been answered when its time to punch out.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:49 PM
psssh, why can't the world be ending BEFORE the Olympics
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by marco55 View Post
Secondly, the poles of the earth sometimes flip over. The equator would stay in the same place!
When this happens, and yes this is a real possibility to happen in your lifetime, the process can take hundreds of years. During this time, the earth loses its magnetic field and solar radiation would slowly destroy vegetation. The food chain relies on this vegetation and therefore life could be extinguished. The planets don't line up. The dinosaurs were killed by an impact from a large meteor or comet which threw up debris into the atmosphere which blocked out the sunlight affecting vegetation and possibly starting an ice age.
The biggest threat that you are facing is starvation or plundering due to peak oil. Look at lifeaftertheoilcrash.net or peakoil.com
Drive carefully and look properly for on coming busses when crossing the road. Only board an airplane with 2 wings etc.
I read the lifeaftertheoilcrash. net thing last night and thought that was a bit worrying....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
psssh, why can't the world be ending BEFORE the Olympics

What a good idea, or better still let it end before the Olympics and start again when they've finished, a sort of resurerection of sanity
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by marco55 View Post
Uranium is the way forward for the western world after oil - theres an absolute abundance, much of the scare mongering about its safety is just that and countries like Japan and France show it can be a workable alternative to oil - as soon as the likes of us and the US break down the misconceptions of nuclear power and/or we develop technology foor batteries to better harness and retain solar power, the sooner the oil cycle of the world breaks down. Man and the world have an amazing track record of surviving and moving forward - only celestial intervention or a sudden breakdown in technological advancement can hurt us, the human race will still exist in some form even after a nuclear war.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
. Man and the world have an amazing track record of surviving and moving forward
Or, perhaps more accurately, Man survives and moves forward, the world just puts up with us!

Snorri
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I can't say I'm afraid so long as I'm near dad, would mean I'd see mum again and that can't be a bad thing!!!!!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Sorry to ressurect this thread; but I have a situation regarding this. One of my nephews is just thirteen and he heard from his older and friends about this supposed "end of the world" and is now more worried than a lamb in a slaughter house! Other than quashing his fears bby just claiming it nonsense, is there anything anyone could post in this thread that I could show as unbiast proof there is nothing to worried about?
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >