15-02-2006, 04:30 PM
AUSWEISSE BITTE!

Snorri
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
But it is already Christine.
Noooo they ain`t got my fingerprints yet J or my dna.........
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
Noooo they ain`t got my fingerprints yet J or my dna.........
and would it hurt if they had?

would help if they needed to identify you in order to give you treatment or let your loved ones know where you are though
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Doesn't bother me one jot -I've got to renew my passport this month so we'll see what happens -I'm with the 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear ' brigade Personal info is held on us all in all kinds of places so its not really anything new ....I do object to paying for it tho' lol ( only cos I'm a tight wad )
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
and would it hurt if they had?

would help if they needed to identify you in order to give you treatment or let your loved ones know where you are though

But WHY do they want all those personal details? The chances are it will not be used for identifying purposes to give medical treatments or to let families know where loved ones are for most people. I just can`t see a benefit to them & it bothers me I don`t know who will have access to my presonal data
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
But WHY do they want all those personal details? The chances are it will not be used for identifying purposes to give medical treatments or to let families know where loved ones are for most people. I just can`t see a benefit to them & it bothers me I don`t know who will have access to my presonal data
but if you commit an horrendous crime and leave your DNA behind they will known where to find you and you will not be able to leave the country either, which ever one you happen to be in, and good thing too you deserve everything that’s coming to you.

On a serious note though Christine why does it bother you? Most of your life is recorded in minute detail somewhere anyway, they have your blood type and detail of everything you have done in your life, they will know your dental records, your school records, your work records, your payment record in fact anything of any consequence you have ever done since about 6months before you were born, so why does the knowledge of your DNA bother you when the knowledge of someone else’s could save you from a crime of worse.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-02-2006, 08:17 PM
The new identity card scheme will centralise all the data the different government departments hold about you. Nothing wrong with that....

It's when it all becomes too officious and all records become intermuddled. eg You're involved in an accident, your belongings are in the car and it's on fire. The ambulance arrives to take you to hospital. Ooops, you haven't got your ID card - it's in the car! Sorry, no card, no treatment ....

'The computer says no ...'

If the ID card becomes the 'de facto' standard for your identity, bank statements, bills etc will not be acceptable proof of ID, so if the central records are incorrect what happens ? You won't be able to get a new bank account, move a mortgage, get a loan etc until such time as it gets resolved. I think it will be quite interesting trying to unravel incorrect details - what would you use to prove what you are saying is correct ?

'The computer says no ...'

As to the cost, £30 is unrealistic - that's probably a 'subsidised by tax payer' price. Sadly, £300 per is a more realistic cost, but even that may be underestimated - government IT schemes are well known for going way over budget.

The Labour party should be ashamed of itself, because linking the 'voluntary' scheme to passports pushes the price of passports up, thereby putting overseas travel further away from those who are less well off, the very people Labour historically supported. He is most definitely, Tory Blair

ID cards will not stop acts of terrorism. Suicide bombers die for the cause, it doesn't matter to them if they have an ID card or not. What about tourists - what do they carry ?

Surely the money would be better spent on better policing.

How frequently do the ID cards have to be renewed ?
How much to renew/replace ?

Somehow I can see this becoming a very expensive project.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I hav'nt read too much about all this but on the face of it , i dont think its a problem , as thordell, says all the info they want they either alresdy have or could very easily get so theres really no point in worrying :smt102
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Olly
I hav'nt read too much about all this but on the face of it , i dont think its a problem , as thordell, says all the info they want they either alresdy have or could very easily get so theres really no point in worrying :smt102
If you believe HM Government's computer systems are secure, think again. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) shut down its online application website as a result of a £30m fraud.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...bsite-shut-due

It probably wouldn't take the organised crime fraternity much to infiltrate the system and steal people's identities - remember only one central record to change the name and address on, everything else is linked to that record.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by royv
It probably wouldn't take the organised crime fraternity much to infiltrate the system and steal people's identities - remember only one central record to change the name and address on, everything else is linked to that record.
Yes, but how can they get away with their fingerprints and iris scan matching the card and the identity? Only I will match my identity card, so this is why I think it's such a good idea! Identity fraud is rife now, but imo it won't be if we have these cards.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >