Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Cancer?

My oldest boy isn't doing very well. He's 11 year old lab. Always been very heathy. Started to refuse the odd meal back in October which wasnt unusual for him but it gradually got worse. We went to the vet mid November the did some bloods and found his calcium is high which apparently suggested cancer. We had X-rays and they found nothing. I've tried all sorts of food he will take some occasionally he's lost loads of weight and stopped eating altogether last week. We returned to vets last Friday fearing the worst and they gave him some steroids. He suddenly became his old self and was eating like a horse on his normal food. However now he has bad diarrhoea and chronic wind which I suspect is a side effect of the steroids I can't win so the weight drops again. I've stopped giving him the steroids yesterday and today he won't eat. What do I do now?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Vodkalass View Post
My oldest boy isn't doing very well. He's 11 year old lab. Always been very heathy. Started to refuse the odd meal back in October which wasnt unusual for him but it gradually got worse. We went to the vet mid November the did some bloods and found his calcium is high which apparently suggested cancer. We had X-rays and they found nothing. I've tried all sorts of food he will take some occasionally he's lost loads of weight and stopped eating altogether last week. We returned to vets last Friday fearing the worst and they gave him some steroids. He suddenly became his old self and was eating like a horse on his normal food. However now he has bad diarrhoea and chronic wind which I suspect is a side effect of the steroids I can't win so the weight drops again. I've stopped giving him the steroids yesterday and today he won't eat. What do I do now?

I`d go back to the vets and ask for a second opinion and more tests....something is obviously not right.
Meg
Supervisor

12-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Hello Joanne did the vet tell you to stop the steroids, they should never be stopped suddenly but gradually.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2014, 11:23 AM
No I didn't consult the vets but he's only been on them 5 days and as the diarrhoea is so bad I didn't feel I had a choice. I am going back tonight with him.
Meg
Supervisor

12-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Vodkalass View Post
No I didn't consult the vets but he's only been on them 5 days and as the diarrhoea is so bad I didn't feel I had a choice. I am going back tonight with him.
Hi Joanne, poor chap the problem may not be down to steroids though it could be a number of things.
I think you are wise to go back to the vet.

I hope you boy is a better soon..
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your boy - good luck at the vets tonight.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2014, 03:02 AM
Steroids can really make a dog miserable. Poor fellow. I'm not saying that they aren't appropriate or won't help-- I've been on them enough myself to know that the tradeoff is often worth it.

If you can, it is probably worth doing an ultrasound. That can detect abnormalities an X-ray won't pick up. Have you had bloods done since the steroids?
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2014, 06:56 PM
I hope he will be OK. X
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Steroids are very appropriate in some cases. They normally give a feeling of well being and make you feel hungry. You should never stop them suddenly as the body could go into shock and collapse. Diarrhea could be caused by the fact he has got his appetite back and is eating too much too fast. Please persevere with the steroids and get him back to the vet.
I normally keep a kaolin mixture in for gippy tummies - you can buy this on line and it is safe.

Hope things improve for him soon.

Thalice's mum