Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
In Max Eggerts book 'The Perfect Interview' he suggests, for the 'weakness' question that you

a) Pick something about your character that is obviously true
b) Extend that trait until it becomes a fault
c) Put it back in the distant past
d) Show how you've overcome it
e) Confirm it is no longer a problem
f) Stay silent

So, as an example, you're asked "Do you have any weaknesses?"

Well, I used to worry too much, (a) it was diverting my attention from the task in hand,(b) that was four years ago,(c) I've learned to concentrate on making sure all the parts of the task at hand are done and then I didn't need to worry that something would go wrong,(d) it's worked for me, I still worry a tiny bit (pause) just enough to keep me on my toes (e)(smile when you say that!) stop there (f) and hope they move on to another point

He covers 'strenghs' as well but I have to go take the furries for their daily walk so will check back this evening.
Ooh, lots of excellent info, Harvey. Thanks for that! I plan to do a bit research and preparation this weekend, so I'd appreciated some ideas for 'strength' too.

Thank you.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-03-2012, 08:50 PM
remember the basics, be on time, ideally ten minites early

be smart, well presented, get your hair cut beforehand etc

watch out for subtle tests, if your interviewer charges up the stairs, follow at the same pace

its ok not to answer a question, but try to come back to it at the end

put everything in a positive perspectie, i find max egberts book excellent, but be honest; i conduct interviews and i can smell bs

most improtantly smile, smile, smile!
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2012, 09:55 PM
The staff at Pets at home always seem to get on well and treat each other with respect - I go to three different ones, and would say they have this in common, so they probably value and promote team spirit, might be worth focusing on that. Also, they let dogs in, so they might ask you about your attitude to dogs. Good luck will be interested to know what it's like.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Suzanne2 View Post
Also, they let dogs in, so they might ask you about your attitude to dogs.
Well I've never met her but it's hard to imagine anyone with a better attitude to dogs after seeing what she did for Roxy just recently.
Callie-Mae
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Oh Nicola ! Good luck
My sister and I both worked for a PAH branch near Edinburgh.
Our interviews were instore though, not an assessment centre. It was a manager from outwith that particular store who conducted the interviews.
It's a while ago, but the questions were more general "interview type" questions as you would get with any other job, plus questions on your ability to handle heavy objects, experience with animals and whether you had any back problems.
The shifts were on a rota. Some weeks we worked from 8am till 6pm, other shifts were 10am till 8pm. We HAD to be available to work at weekends. That was full time though.
The job consisted of (with the 8am start) cleaning out, feeding and watering the animals and fish, keeping the shop tidy (which everyone was responsible for), rotating the stock and stocking up the shelves, checking and storing deliveries, and dealing with customers.
If we weren't specifically on the till, we would often have customers approach and ask questions either about a product or something specific to their pet (e.g. "which is the best food for my new puppy/kitten/rabbit/guinea pig/budgie etc). I would always ask them about their pet, then suggest foods appropriate for that particular pet.
Catching birds in the aviary was quite entertaining . The customer showed us which one they wanted, then we would go in with a net, box ready and waiting to put it in once caught, then try to net the bird they had chosen. Interesting in the case of trying to catch the canary which is slightly paler yellow than the other 10 yellow ones, when there are 30 canaries in that aviary
The staff were all great and we all got on very well. I left fairly soon after we got a new manager. She always used to tell us off for talking to the customers too much (customer asks for advice, we give advice, manager tells us off for talking to them ).
She also used to muck up our breaks, telling you one time then later changing it. Often not getting lunch until 3 or 4 pm !
One day, she didn't even turn up to open up one morning . We all waited outside the shop for well over an hour. The assistant manager, who was on his day off, came along and told us to go home. My sister and I suggested we ask if we can work at another branch that day. He rang the area manager, rang the branch we suggested, was given the ok so we all went off to the other branch for the rest of the day. Half a day lost because a stupid woman didn't phone anyone to say she was ill ! She JUST didn't turn up. (Her name is Christine ).
She would tell us to arrange new displays, then come along and tell us it was wrong and do it all again by herself.
Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on
Oh, and uniform is provided .
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone.

I'm looking forward to it in a way - I will put it down to good experience if nothing becomes of it.

I don't hold out much hope though as I don't doubt that competition might be tough due to the number of people out of work etc, but I'll certainly try my best.

Thanks again.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Good luck, Nicola. Hope you get it if it's what you want.

When is the interview?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Good luck, Nicola. Hope you get it if it's what you want.

When is the interview?
Thank you, Chris. It's this Friday, so some positive vibes for then would be great, please.
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:24 PM
My son went for an interview with PAH a few years ago. In the group part of the interview they were given lots of rotostack hamster cage parts, no instuctions and told to build an exciting hamster house. I think the idea was to see who fit in where in the group, who would take the lead and who would sit back and watch the others do the work.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for that, Ruth.

Perhaps a change would be good should I get the chance. It will be good experience anyway.
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »