View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Something I have always wanted to ask meat eaters, would you still eat it if you had to kill it and skin it etc...? I have this theory that I couldn't do that and have no right therefore to eat meat, my dogs would, in the wild kill and eat meat so therefore they are given raw meat to eat and not fed a vegetarian diet.
I don't mean that nastily to meat eaters, each to their own
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Something I have always wanted to ask meat eaters, would you still eat it if you had to kill it and skin it etc...? I have this theory that I couldn't do that and have no right therefore to eat meat, my dogs would, in the wild kill and eat meat so therefore they are given raw meat to eat and not fed a vegetarian diet.
In all honesty, yes I would. It wouldn't be nice and I certainly wouldn't enjoy it, but if you want to eat meat you have to be prepared to accept it.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I probably would yes, although would much rather the slaughterhouse does the larger animals only for fear of doing it incorrectly.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
In all honesty, yes I would. It wouldn't be nice and I certainly wouldn't enjoy it, but if you want to eat meat you have to be prepared to accept it.
ditto !
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure - I have only ever managed to kill one animal....and that was a mouse that the dog started and would not finish....I couldn't leave it - well maybe i could have done...it felt more cruel to leave it.

So - probably not.

However - if it was the only option avalible to me....
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Yep, no problem with it!

Slaughtered our own turkeys at Christmas and ate one (and sold the others), got 4 cockerels living in my polytunnel that will be killed in a month or so for my freezer, and I've got 2 pheasants for tea tonight that need plucking etc before we eat them!

If it was possible (and legal) to keep larger animals and do the same, we would do. I'd love a couple of pigs for the table, but space and DEFRA regulations are against me in that respect.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Absolutely no way.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I was a veggie for a few years in my 20s, but became quite anaemic, so returned to meat (which I had in all honesty missed).

My hubby is a shepherd, so our livelihood depends on people eating meat. We obviously know exactly how our lambs are raised and kept, the ones for our freezer are also slaughtered locally. Hill lamb/sheep actually have one of the best lives of all our meat animals, as they live as naturally as possible, on a heather covered hill for the duration of their lives. We have also kept pigs in the past and had them slaughtered locally. Hubby is talking about getting a couple more at the end of the year. Our beef comes directly from a small abbatoir, where standards are high. We also have our own hens (for eggs) and are considering getting a Jersey cow for milk.

As others have pointed out, if you buy your meat carefully from local butchers/farm shops then you should feel little guilt. The UK does have some of the highest welfare standards in the world and I just hope it keeps getting better and better. I hate to think of any animal suffering.

If everyone gave up meat, our sheep, cows, pigs etc would disappear fand the British countryside would also vanish. Not a nice thought imo.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Something I have always wanted to ask meat eaters, would you still eat it if you had to kill it and skin it etc...? -P
Yes, I would. At least then I`d know it had been killed humanely, and also where the meat came from.
I think we`re far too divorced from the natural world. My dogs have killed - on the whole it was extremely quick and the animal didn`t suffer.
I`m far more sqeamish about factory farming than death.
big paul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Not sure....dont think i could
Page 5 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »