Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Why?
Because by nature we are carnivores.
I enjoy meat and cannot imagine a life without meat. I do not deprive myself of anything I enjoy, so long as I can afford it.
Providing I am selective in what and where I buy I see no problem with eating meat. It is what humans have always done.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I like the taste, i'm not a massive fan of the taste of veggies so would be a poor one! If its brought from tesco its organic or free range, but primarily it's from a nice old fashioned butchers who gets everything from local farms or local shoots, it's lovely! We also have a lot of friends and family, and when I have the chance I do too, who go shooting and work with the dogs so theres a lot of options!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:36 AM
I think I eat meat because it's easy & all I've known - I could probably live without it but could never give up a bacon buttie! & yet show me a prawn or anything with a face & I run a mile!!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I dont eat it every day and buy from a butcher, I don't buy from supermarkets on the most part the meat is worse and is not that much cheaper and their meat could have been dragged all over the country and be old and/or diseased animals.
If I could bear the thought of living without meat, I would become a vegetarian but I think we meant to be omnivores. But fully appreciate at the end of the day it is an individual choice and both have pro's and con's
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I love meat, always have, seriously couldnt manage without it.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:58 AM
This is so spooky Couldn't sleep last night and you know how sometimes your brain will not settle? Well I started thinking about this...don't ask me why, coz I never saw Azz's post until this morning
I do feel guilty about where some of the meat comes from. I then had a dream that I was walking round an abbotoir (sp ) and woke up crying

I can honestly say that I do try, pocket prevailing, to buy locally sourced meat, and try to buy organic or at least free range,but even then you can't be sure can you?

I didn't watch the video, it was just a shock to see this post after last night.

If I sat and thought very deeply about the amount of animals that are slaughtered each day all over the world I would never sleep again!!!

xx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:32 AM
See that's it, humans have always eaten meat.

After being very strict veggie for 17 years I know I won't make a blind bit of difference, and it is in fact done for your own self satisfaction.
I also hate veggies who preach. I was never one of those.
When I worked in the deli I hand carved hams and smoked salmon etc, and the customers would say 'I bet you love being able to treat yourself to a bit of that' and were quite shocked when I told them I was a veggie.
Interestingly, we also found if we labelled a cheese as veggie, it killed it's sales. So we didn't, and if someone asked I could tell them which ones were.

I am also a country girl, always have been, and apart from local industry concerns I would hate to see our fields empty and our whole way of life threatened because the livestock were no longer wanted.

So if you're veggie, great, good for you, but keep quiet about it as it does vegetarianism no favours to preach. I eat meat, and I eat local quality meat when possible, and free range where possible..... although as I've stated I've eaten pate de fois gras without any qualms.

I love seeing the animals and am happy to put them to good use when new ones come along to take their place
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Was strict vegetarian for 17 years, been there, done that.... now eat everything and anything
Me too - well, for about 10 years. I got anaemic when pregnant and had to eat meat again as I couldn`t tolerate iron tablets.
I haven`t a problem with eating other creatures - they mostly eat each other after all - but with the way they are kept. So I try to go for British pork/ bacon, and free range chicken/eggs because of welfare issues.
My dogs aren`t vegan and I wouldn`t expect them to be. .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
So what made you two turn back to eating meat?
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I surprised at the ex-veggies - I was going to ask why did you stop?
Because I wanted to and missed it. The meat we get now is from a local butcher who (is more expensive) but has all the paperwork and such in place (so you can trace the meat from teh source) - it is SO much nicer than any supermarket stuff we used to get.
We also get a Lamb every now and then from the Farmer next door - we buy directly from him.

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I think I eat meat because it's easy & all I've known - I could probably live without it but could never give up a bacon buttie! & yet show me a prawn or anything with a face & I run a mile!!
....I am like that. Especailly with Prawns!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I have been veggie for nearly 20 yrs. I do suffer from low iron but dont think I could ever eat meat again! My kids arent veggie cos i dont want to force them...hopefully they will come to their decision when they are a bit older.
I dont wear leather or eat gelatine. BUT I do use leather....horses obviously have leather tack and dogs have leather leads and again obviously they eat meat!! But thats as far as i can go realistically.
Page 4 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »