Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
So what made you two turn back to eating meat?

I have to say, I also now know that the majority of the animals we eat just would not exist if we all gave up meat, so now I choose my meat carefully and enjoy it.
i think it was being surrounded by carnivores(cat,ferrets n huskys) and feeling left out

no,i feel the same,as you...wild cow anyone?
even when i was veggie i wore leather,dont like pointless waste
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I was a veggie for 20 years, but I think my body was telling me something as for months and months I kept smelling bacon.. so I ate my first bacon sandwich in 20 years and that was that.

However in saying that we've gone quite ''good life here, our own eggs, veg etc., and the meat I have started buying of late are wild rabbits which have been shot, pigeons (wood) and pheasant (again shot) Im going back to the old ways of cooking. We've been lucky to find a small holding that we can buy chicken from.

I am still buying lamb, but less beef than I used too, as we have found the market is selling stuff that has been hunted/shot in the wild.

I have enjoyed sorting out the old day receipes
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:50 PM
the smell of bacon is the devils work!!!

mind u it gets me back ,in its own way!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Some very interesting and surprising replies!

Have to say though I'm a meat eater through and through, I'll never be a vegetarian. I wish I could feel as guilt free as some of you, however, as being on a tight budget means I can't always afford locally sourced stuff, one day though hopefully.

It'd be lovely to think that if we all became veggies then animals would stop suffering, but sadly this just isn't the case as many people on this thread have highlighted. The best we can do is make sure they have a happy life before being slaughtered for the food chain.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Couple of points I want to comment on:

'Our standards are higher in the UK, it would never happen here' - Steroids, growth hormones, routine antibiotics, cramp conditions are completely legal here. Additionally - who do you think polices the 'standards' when it comes to animal cruelty? With all the cattle/poultry that's farmed here it would be near impossible to make sure they aren't being mistreated. At the end of the day - it's business, and the thing on their mind is money. Even worse with the way big supermarkets do business with farmers.

'Our standards are higher in the UK, it would never happen here' part 2 - a lot if not most of our meat comes from abroad anyway.

'We only buy organic/local meat' - so they say it's meant to be organic, or free range, or from a local caring farm. But is it really? Who checks to make sure? Can we really trust them? Personally I think a big fat NO. Of course there may be the odd decent farmer here or there, but thanks to the way supermarkets do business with them they have to watch their bottom line, and they're most likely going to be concerned about not going bankrupt than the welfare of a few animals who they know are going to be killed anyway.

I surprised at the ex-veggies - I was going to ask why did you stop?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Spent a lot of time working in the meat industry and the hubby still does, testing is routine for the use of steroids in meat and that includes the stuff coming from abroad, all farms are inspected with a whole department (Meat Hygiene Service) dedicated to ensuring this, all animals have to be inspected by a vet before moving off farms and at each slaughter house there is a meat inspector on site. Our food industry is one of the most legislated in the world included in that is legislation for what is fed to animals that will enter the food chain.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/meat/

I was also a vegetarian for a number of years until i started working within the industry and saw for myself that my principles were mis informed, even Halal plants which were the ones that slit throats etc now have to stun there animals, the heavy regulations were the reasons that most of the smaller slaughter houses shut down in the 80's they just couldn't afford to bring their premises and practices up to scratch
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I have been a vegetarian for 14 years and would never go back to eating meat . There are times when I think a bacon sandwich or a fish supper would be nice but the thought of the cruelty involved means I could never eat it .
My husband loves meat and I think that it's up to each individual whether they eat meat or not .
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:37 AM
I live with meat eaters and the dogs are mostly fed raw, but I have been a veggie now for 18 years and doubt I will ever go back... I can't say I'm healthier as I adore cheese and I am not as commited as I was as I do wear leather shoes, but not coats or gloves I don't buy or eat anything with rennet or gelatine... I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian (I have milk and eggs in my diet) and I eat nothing with eyes except potatoes!!
I became a vegetarian because I just couldn't stomach eating a dead animal anymore...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:43 AM
My daughter is a veggie which includes not wearing leather not buying anything to do with proctor and gamble etc etc.
I still eat meat although after watching the programmes, "kill it cook it eat it" I am convinced even though they said the cow was stunned it felt everything by the way it still struggled.
I do often join my daughter in a veggie roast, and really eating quorn products as meat replacements is healthier, lower in fat and higher in protein.
I am very tempted to completely switch for my health as much as anything, its just I don't really like the quorn mince and I would miss real bacon.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Have been vegetarian for 20 years and my 3 children have been brought up as veggies too. OH eats meat but it hasn't tempted me back and never will. Like settagirl I drink milk and eat cheese but I would really like to become vegan but I'm a bit scared of this final step as I think any social life would then be really difficult.
Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »