Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Why do you still eat meat?

That's the question I've been asking myself recently. After reading more and more about how bad the meat we buy really is. Not only from a health stand-point, but from an ethical one too... animals endure a LOT of cruelty in the farming industry.. and it's not just isolated cases - it is the norm. It is the accepted methods in which they are farmed, legally!

This vid is a bit of an eye opener, although I recommend the 'skinny' series of books to get a more thorough look at it all.

Warning contains graphic images

So to answer the question myself, after seeing these vids and reading all the other accounts and acknowledging that in actual fact animal cruelty and the serving up of diseased animals is the norm - I am going to stop eating meat.

Well, I'm gonna give it a try anyway! Who's gonna join me?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Was strict vegetarian for 17 years, been there, done that.... now eat everything and anything
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 10:17 PM
The only reason I still eat meat is because it's easier tbh. My husband is a dedicated carnivore and my kids both eat meat, it's just easier to fit in...! I truly believe that if I lived by myself I would be a veggie. I like poultry and fish but I'm not a big meat fan really. When I eat meat I always buy it from the co-op as they are fairly ethical. I haven't watched the video as I'm a wuss and a hypocrite! I am very tempted to try going veggie though!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Thankfully a lot of the stuff in that video is illegal in the UK. Starving to force a moult for example, or any throat slitting/skinning alive. That being said, a lot of horrific practices still go on.
The only problem with boycotting meat is that it means farmers in the UK lose out. Then as UK farms go out of business, meat gets imported cheaply from abroad instead. I don't know of any country that has higher standards of welfare for farm animals than the UK does, and that will only improve as time goes on, but as we know some countries don't have any welfare laws at all. However, if consumers send the message that they want their meat reared to a high welfare standard by buying freerange, british produce the intensively reared meat will no longer have a market. But, the fact is that whilst people continue to have more children than we have space to produce food for in an ethical way this practice will continue. That's wot I think anyway
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Was strict vegetarian for 17 years, been there, done that.... now eat everything and anything
thats funny!! same here 15 years of it
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
I was tempted by my boyfriends little sausage
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Not a chance!!

ALL the meat we eat is locally sourced and farmed (or hunted in the case of game) and comes through our local butchers.

We live in farming land, and if we didn't eat meat, 90% of the businesses in the area wouldn't be around. The majority of cattle and lambs that we eat are farmed within a 20 mile radius of my house; the abbatoir is local and so is the butcher. If that's not traceability, I'm not sure what is!

We raised and slaughtered (and ate!) our own turkeys last year; and this year we are raising chickens for meat as well as eggs.

As long as the meat is, as a minimum, British farmed and slaughtered, I don't see the problem. We buy free-range, organic if possible, and I trust the local farmers here.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:15 PM
and here 10 years of it.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
and here 10 years of it.
So what made you two turn back to eating meat?

I have to say, I also now know that the majority of the animals we eat just would not exist if we all gave up meat, so now I choose my meat carefully and enjoy it.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
So what made you two turn back to eating meat?

I have to say, I also now know that the majority of the animals we eat just would not exist if we all gave up meat, so now I choose my meat carefully and enjoy it.
For me i missed meat and came to the conclusion after alot of soul searching and research, that meat could be eaten without the need for animlas to suffer. I now only eat organic, as do my dogs and it has to be highest welfare organic too. Its expensive, so we do not eat as much and use cheaper cuts.
I was also a vegan for a year, but struggled and made myself ill, i still struggle with my consciense on this matter as i dont think organic cutds as far as animal welfare for dairy cows. have found out that there is a milk produced that is high welfare enough, but i cant find any near me, im persuing this with compassion in world farming.
I dream of my own small holding where i breed and kill my own food and if i cant do it then im a veggie.
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »