View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies, some interesting thoughts and opinions.

Thought you might find this funny - it's a frequent scene in my house (my OH likes the sci-fi forums, as well as me being on Dogsey quite a lot):

http://xkcd.com/386/
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Failing that, keep big gob shut if you know what's good for you I suppose!!!
That's a big part of what being a counsellor is about
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
This means that I believe that every human is inherently good, that sometimes events and circumstances mean that people do bad things, that every person is striving for actualisation, that I should not judge and that I should be wary of giving advice.
Hi Sarah, first let me say you're not on my ignore list (Nor any poster so far) so that's a good start

Second, can I ask do you mean every human in the world or just those on Dogsey.

If the former then I can't agree with you at all, what events and circumstances caused the gang of thieves to steal my lawn tractor and trailer I will be judgemental on them for the rest of my life and further more I wish them to die a nasty horrible death in agony.

And my third and final point is a question, what the heck is 'actualisation' I've looked it up in my OED and the only bit I understood was 'describe realistically' which I interpret as meaning 'telling it like it is' which seems to be exactly what you're not in favour of.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Thought you might find this funny - it's a frequent scene in my house (my OH likes the sci-fi forums, as well as me being on Dogsey quite a lot):

http://xkcd.com/386/
Brilliant, have sent it to Neil as know he'll appreciate it!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I try and be careful what I write as I wouldn't want to upset anyone and I realise how easy messages on here can be misunderstood. But I won't censor myself too much as long as what I write isn't getting personal.
I think when it comes to giving advice you have to watch what you say to a certain extent depending that the situation is.
What I like about this forum is that people generally say what they think and feel and people will always disagree and that way we get a good discussion and that is very healthy.
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi Sarah, first let me say you're not on my ignore list (Nor any poster so far) so that's a good start

Second, can I ask do you mean every human in the world or just those on Dogsey.

If the former then I can't agree with you at all, what events and circumstances caused the gang of thieves to steal my lawn tractor and trailer I will be judgemental on them for the rest of my life and further more I wish them to die a nasty horrible death in agony.

And my third and final point is a question, what the heck is 'actualisation' I've looked it up in my OED and the only bit I understood was 'describe realistically' which I interpret as meaning 'telling it like it is' which seems to be exactly what you're not in favour of.
Sarah may well correct me here but I'd say she works in Person Centred Therapy which was developed by a guy named Carl Rogers. The basic idea is that the therapist shows unconditional positive regard, empathy and congruence towards the client which means they are supportive and non judgemental.

Actualisaton is another Rogerian construct which is essentially refers the fulfilment of ones potential. It is obviously somewhat more complicated than that - if you would like to learn more it is probably easier to get down the library (or google) Carl Rogers / Humanistic counselling / Person or Client centred therapy.

I'll let Sarah address your second question as she is after all the counsellor...

And to Sarah I would say I understand where you are coming from but I guess it depends how much you believe in the principles you use at work and if you feel they are relevant in all situations in your everyday life? I'm not sure they are, but in my own posts I basically try to to be honest without resorting to personal attacks or insults - as I would in a face to face situation.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 07:52 PM
It`s nice to be non-judgemental about people...but that doesn`t mean you shouldn`t judge peoples` actions. Some actions are bad - there`s no point beating about the bush. Nothing on God`s earth will make me believe that gratuitously causing suffering to an animal can ever be anything but BAD and I reserve the right to say so.
I think refusing to call something wrong is damaging. It is abdicating our moral responsibility. Young people in the groups I work with are safe and happy because bad behaviour (behaviour that hurts others) is not tolerated and sanctions are given immediately.
I go along with the old rule - Hate the sin but love the sinner.
And if someone is acting like a twonk then sometimes it`s the kindest thing to let them know it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Daysleeper40 View Post
I'll let Sarah address your second question as she is after all the counsellor...
I hope she'll feel able to come back as it would be a very interesting reply (If it was me I think I'd want to refer to my class tutor before replying )
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
This forum is guilty, maybe more than any other i've been on, of overstepping the mark on going beyond what one chooses to share in posts into casting a shadowed opinion and making assumptions about other areas of which are not shared; if that makes sense.
A lot of posts make me very uncomfortable these days, the religion one for example and every single thread which comes up about breed standards/dog not being "top scratch standard", which is why I find myself (along with others) just being selective of when and what they post. Which is quite sad.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 08:55 PM
My Hun thats a hard one, just read all the replies by the way....

I'm guilty of not knowing what I'm like.... think someone would have to tell me.

I think I am not judgemental....ok tell me if I am, but i have been peacemaker on a number of instances on some posts that have started to get abit sticky.

I think that old saying 'nought stranger than folk'' is a good one, becuae i am sure if we all agreed with one another we'd get very bored, very soon, but I am not really into witch-hunts..I do try to be honest, and I know some that have been upset by answers/picking on, that happens as i have had a number of pm's from those that have been upset....and it does make me feel for them.

Like judging someone for what they wear or don't wear.... I am not really like that, having met people with little on but with high morals,

What is it they say ''never judge a book by it's cover''

But where animals are concerned, I have a real passion, and I would be bluntly honest if I really felt that an animal was suffering.

Maybe others see me differently
Page 3 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »