Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 10:10 AM

High Blood Pressure!

Wah! Everyone is fussing over me as yesterday the OH nurse took my blood pressure as 194/117 (which apparantly is very, very bad).

She sent me home to make an appointment with my GP before the end of the week

I am not a typical case of HBP apparantly. I'm not yet 30, don't smoke, hardly drink anymore, do lots of exercise, have excellent cholesterol levels. My only issues are that I am overweight and am on the pill.

On the NHS BMI calculator, I'm classed as 'obese' (I'm 13st and 5ft 4ins). I've been heavier, and have been losing weight seriously since last November.

I'm on a progesteron-only pill, which I was put on 10 years ago (when I was 1 because of, you've guessed it, high blood pressure! I've had high blood pressure for the last 10 years and nobody seems to know why.

Of course, since yesterday's reading, everyone (at home and work) is fussing and worried about me; but I feel fine!
The more people fuss, the more stressed I get about it.

Phew! Feel better for venting a bit now!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Patrick has high blood pressure, but again he doesn't smoke now (packed up 4 years ago) and only has the odd pint once every month or so, but he carries alot of weight. Mind you since being diagnosed as diabetic his weight is coming down. But they will not let him come off his tablets which he takes every day.

I can imagin though with everyone fussing, it would make you stress more.

Hope your feeling ok though xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Me too! I loathe doctors so when I was dragged in for a smear (not the jolliest experience in the world) my BP was sky high. Then they went loopy when I was in hospital recently. Again, if you`re having surgery and in pain expecially surrounded by a lot of strangers and wearing a nightie that doesn`t do up at the back..........
And some of us are not born to be broomstick shaped!
aaaah that`s better.
I would be concerned about the Pill though - get his tubes tied instead?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Shelley - When I was your age my GP took a BP and found the same readings as you have and after asking about smoking (no) drinking (not much) and exercise (average) obviously he didn't ask about the pill He then decided I had 'residual hypertension' i.e. just one of those things (some people naturally have high blood pressure).

But, 20 years latter it was a different story completely, saw my GP (about something else) he took my BP as a routine check and nearly had a coronary himself sent me straight round to the hospital for more tests and have been on medication ever since.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
That is a high reading but as everyone else has said, it may just be one of those things. I was diagnosed with HBP in 2000 and have been on medication ever since. The meds don't bother me at all and I don't notice any problems so it can be completely controlled. Try not to stress too much, it just makes it worse. Good luck at the GP's
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 09:10 PM
if i have mine done at the dr ,it gos right up ,im all pink and stressed (hate the dr ) soon as i read it at home (have a blood pressure reader)its spot on i think it depends what type of person you are ,every one is diffrent ,im not sure how they ever get true reading . why dont you get a blood pressure reader ,do it at home your self there very cheap in the chemist very easy to use ,put your mind at rest and the family
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Holy cow that is high!

I'd advise to come of that particular type of pill, reduce your salt intake and avoid stress, which probably involves not reading the first part of my post!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Holy cow that is high!

I'd advise to come of that particular type of pill, reduce your salt intake and avoid stress, which probably involves not reading the first part of my post!
Thanks Rips!

I reduced both my salt and caffeine intake over 12 months ago. I don't cook with, or add salt to anything anymore; and have caffeine free tea (and diet coke etc).

I'm off to the doctors tonight, and will be having a word about my pill, as I think that it could be one of the main causes of this whole thing...

As for stress.... well, if I wasn't in my current job, I'd be a lot less stressed - but wouldn't we all!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Thanks Rips!

I reduced both my salt and caffeine intake over 12 months ago. I don't cook with, or add salt to anything anymore; and have caffeine free tea (and diet coke etc).

I'm off to the doctors tonight, and will be having a word about my pill, as I think that it could be one of the main causes of this whole thing...

As for stress.... well, if I wasn't in my current job, I'd be a lot less stressed - but wouldn't we all!!
Well I like to say it how it is!

Sounds like the medication might be the main problem then, as for stress it's impossible to avoid it altogether in todays society. Especially on here of late!