Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by SKing87 View Post
its all down to personal preference but at the end of the day i think eating elephant and monkey etc is irresponsible if nothing else.
promoting the slaughter and consumption of anything endangered is ridiculous.

i think we're all perfectly well aware that there are countries/people who think it normal to eat cats and dogs. solution = dont watch the programs and dont visit the countries!
and if you really walk your talk don't buy anything from those countries.
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2009, 07:17 PM
i think we're all perfectly well aware that there are countries/people who think it normal to eat cats and dogs. solution = dont watch the programs and dont visit the countries!
The trouble is though, the problem that many of us have with the eating of dog and cat has more to do with the way that the animals are kept and the extremely brutal torturous manner in which they die.
I wish I could remember the source exactly but a government funded committee looked into seeing whether it was possible to raise dogs and cats for consumption humanely and their conclusion was that it was not. It was to do with them not being able to be kept in large numbers together in the manner of sheep and cattle, and the fact that they are largely carnivorous made it not economically viable.
For the record I am against all forms of factory farming, here and abroad, but if I'm honest I don't give two hoots about culture where extreme pain and torture is involved for either animals or people. Somehow though it is often felt to be justifiable to make a stand about mistreatment of people in cultures very different to ours ( female circumcision for example ) but not animals.
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I watched it last night, not a good programme, but an interesting issue.

I have eaten some unusual things, one of my relatives in South Africa works on a game reserve as a professional hunter. It's his job to keep numbers down and to kill old or injured animals in the reserve. The few predators they have cannot keep up on the numbers particularly of the bigger game and there aren't enough reserves willing to take their overflow game when the park gets dangerously full. So he brings home Zebra, Kudu, Springbok and occasionally even Elephant and yes I have eaten it all. The animals had a full and healthy wild life in a well managed reserve and were humanely killed as part of a management program, the alternative would be to burn the bodies of these animals which this reserve thinks is more of a waste, so allows the reserve workers to take the meat home and sells the skins on to raise money to pay for vet care, worker's wages and other reserve management costs.

Dog is something of a more difficult issue. Dog meat as with most carnivore meat is not a healthy meat to eat and as the eating of dogs is frowned on in most cultures, the only places where you might come across dog meat they will have been terribly and cruelly confined and inhumanely slaughtered, there is no way I would eat those dogs, nor condone anyone else eating them. If it were a matter of that or starvation then obviously the human comes first. But in all the cases I have seen in Vietnam and china, dog was considered an expensive delicacy and was nothing to do with poor folk just trying to get by and not starve. In china they sell the dyed dog skins as fake fur to the west. Be careful and check your coats. Dog fur that has been dyed to fake cheetah, leopard or tiger is still imported as 'fake fur' and has fond it's way on to many designer coats and bags!

I can't imagine a situation in this country where dog meat would ever be allowed to be sold, but I can't help but think of the hundreds of humanely killed healthy dogs being thrown away and cremated every week from pounds and RSPCA centres. Can you imagine the uproar if the centres started to make some money on the side selling their meat and fur back to china!
Good post- this pretty much sums it up for me too- although selling meat from euthanased dogs for human consumption might have some interesting effects on those doing the eating! Sorry just my dodgy sense of humour....
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:14 PM
im kinda torn on this one anyway. im a firm believer of 'to each their own'... but cruelty to animals is unacceptable. thing is how much can we actually do about it? not a whole lot... which is why i took the attitude of... "if you dont like it, avoid it"

i would never eat cat or dog but its hardly my place to look down on other people for doing so. just as i wouldnt expect a vegetarian to look down on me for eating pork or beef.

the program is horrible though, its not nice to see what actually goes on.
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2009, 03:02 PM
im kinda torn on this one anyway. im a firm believer of 'to each their own'... but cruelty to animals is unacceptable. thing is how much can we actually do about it? not a whole lot... which is why i took the attitude of... "if you dont like it, avoid it"

i would never eat cat or dog but its hardly my place to look down on other people for doing so. just as i wouldnt expect a vegetarian to look down on me for eating pork or beef.

the program is horrible though, its not nice to see what actually goes on.
I wouldn't look down on anyone for eating cat, dog, or cow however however much it may privately upset me BUT I'm afraid I think the cruelty that happens to cats and dogs ( being beaten, blowtorched and skinned alive ) totally unjustifiable and I also know that many people in the countries where this happens do too, so I'm not totally convinced of it being purely a cultural issue.
I do also abhor many European farming practices.
I will admit I didn't watch the programme because I knew it would upset me but sadly like someone else on here mentioned I was forced to view a trailer for it, like it or not
Funnily enough I am a vegetarian but I've never forced my views on anyone - I only ever explain to people my reasons for being veggie if they ask me to. Often the first time anyone discovers I am is when sharing a meal. I always think it odd that people seem to think I should justify my views but not once has a meat eater apparently felt the need to justify theirs. It's not that I want them to- I don't especially want to get into a big discussion about it- I just think it's interesting.
I think on the whole though I agree with you and I'm just getting carried away rabbiting on again!
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2009, 05:30 PM
hehe im the only meat eater in a family of 4 vegetarians

i know where youre coming from
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I once saw a comedy sketch which did a fantastic job of defining animals into 'ugly and edible' and 'fluffy so pets'. The Horse and Rabbit defy this convention and are the exceptions to the rule
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3