Female 

14-01-2009, 10:51 PM
It's been merged.

Am watching it now.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:52 PM
no i was on about my two dogs deciding to make lurve!! while i was distracted!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Makes Me Feel Sick
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I watched it last night, not a good programme, but an interesting issue.

I have eaten some unusual things, one of my relatives in South Africa works on a game reserve as a professional hunter. It's his job to keep numbers down and to kill old or injured animals in the reserve. The few predators they have cannot keep up on the numbers particularly of the bigger game and there aren't enough reserves willing to take their overflow game when the park gets dangerously full. So he brings home Zebra, Kudu, Springbok and occasionally even Elephant and yes I have eaten it all. The animals had a full and healthy wild life in a well managed reserve and were humanely killed as part of a management program, the alternative would be to burn the bodies of these animals which this reserve thinks is more of a waste, so allows the reserve workers to take the meat home and sells the skins on to raise money to pay for vet care, worker's wages and other reserve management costs.

Dog is something of a more difficult issue. Dog meat as with most carnivore meat is not a healthy meat to eat and as the eating of dogs is frowned on in most cultures, the only places where you might come across dog meat they will have been terribly and cruelly confined and inhumanely slaughtered, there is no way I would eat those dogs, nor condone anyone else eating them. If it were a matter of that or starvation then obviously the human comes first. But in all the cases I have seen in Vietnam and china, dog was considered an expensive delicacy and was nothing to do with poor folk just trying to get by and not starve. In china they sell the dyed dog skins as fake fur to the west. Be careful and check your coats. Dog fur that has been dyed to fake cheetah, leopard or tiger is still imported as 'fake fur' and has fond it's way on to many designer coats and bags!

I can't imagine a situation in this country where dog meat would ever be allowed to be sold, but I can't help but think of the hundreds of humanely killed healthy dogs being thrown away and cremated every week from pounds and RSPCA centres. Can you imagine the uproar if the centres started to make some money on the side selling their meat and fur back to china!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I watched this last night and while most of it was quite interesting i hated seeing the poor dogs trapped in a cage. They looked terrified and it was so cruel. I wouldnt want or expect to see any livestock treated like this. Sorry but to me a bug or a snake cant show facial expressions of fear but dogs faces are so expressive. I would eat most things including horse but i dont think i could stomach dog in a million years. By the way i have eaten rattlesnake before!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by mandydog View Post
Do we base "consumption ethics" on the animals' intelligence? Or do we base it on the "cuddle factor"?

I think it is a little of both.
I think it is also some instinct, carnivore meat is not generally considered a good meat to eat which is why we eat herbivore meat. Even most wild carnivores eat herbivores usually or occasionally omnivores, it's the way of the food chain. Can anyone think of a wild animal that would naturally eat a carnivore? (Unless of course this was the only thing for them to eat).

JMO but some animals only natural predators are man, and I don't think such animals, including dogs and cats, are there to be eaten. That includes their wild cousins too of course, Lions, Tigers, Wolves e.t.c...
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2009, 03:20 PM
its all down to personal preference but at the end of the day i think eating elephant and monkey etc is irresponsible if nothing else.
promoting the slaughter and consumption of anything endangered is ridiculous.

i think we're all perfectly well aware that there are countries/people who think it normal to eat cats and dogs. solution = dont watch the programs and dont visit the countries!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >