Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Dog crates for cars

does anyone use dog crates for cars? are they good??

we have jsut replaced our can with a small/med van for the boyfs work & we can fit & leave a very big crate in there, we would like it to fit 2 dogs (Roggie & the future GSD!)

can we put 2 dogs in one crate?? it will obviously have some sort of bedding, mayeba little fan & some drink!! its only for short car rides & coming home from the park when they are dirty! we would NEVER leave them on the van!!

anyone got any good web places to have a look at any / buy from?

Thanks!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi - i believe k9-cages have a good range of crates and would be happy to advise you on what you may need - they are not too expensive either. sorry i don't have the link at the mo - it should come up on google though. Good luck
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
It tends to be you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and you'll get a cage that does the job but from a safety point of view is not that good.
Anything is better than nothing but personally I would have a cage with separate compartments for each dog, it's safer and the dog has his own space.
You could cage the van out as there are a lot of companies now that will fit vans out, small ones from just a few hundred. Only down side is they're fixed for good but are the safest of all the options.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:46 AM
I'd use the crate he sleeps in at home for the first few times to get him used to it
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
hia thanks, we couldnt kit the van out he needs it for work tools lol!!!

i wouldnt use his crate at home its to small and would slide everywhere, id rather get a very big one & sercure it safely for the van but we would prb either leave it in or take it out everynight!

it might even go in jsut for walks to be honest! have looked at some good websites going to have a goo look tom have to go to bed to tired to look anymore!
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2008, 01:34 AM
I recently bought a dog crate on ebay. It cost £40 plus p&p and came from www.doghealth.co.uk. I bought the 36" cage for my Staffie. The cage is very well made. It is double coated , that is galvanised then coated with "Hammerite". It has 3 doors. One door on the long side , one at each end , one of which opens up and over instead of swinging outwards. It has a heavy duty plastic base which is quieter than a metal base and doesn't rust. I got a free piece of vetbed and 2 clip on bowls with the cage. The cage is made from heavy duty wire and it came with a partition to allow the use of 2 compartments if needed. I don't have the catalogue handy , but I think they do the shaped cages for hatchbacks too. They also make dog kennels , runs and puppy pens. It's worth a look. I'm delighted with my cage .
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 05:57 AM
I bought the ones from Argos for the car, cheap and cheerful but with two doors front and side, they take up the whole of the back with the seats down apart from a small ledge at the back, less weight is less petrol consumption! Very quick and easy to get out and dismantle if necessary.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Personally I wouldn't get a big one while you've only got Archie.

Part of the purpose of the car crate is to stop your dog getting hurled around if you have a smash or need to make an emergency stop.

If you put Archie in one that is a suitable size for a GSD, if you do get shunted/have an accident etc., being in a crate that size wouldn't protect Archie very much because he would still get flung across it.

IMO you'd be better putting him in one that is the appropriate size for him and making sure that it is properly secured so that it doesn't slide around.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Barjo are good and very helpful. They are pricey but, as Megan says, you tend to get what you pay for.

I agree totally with what Hali has said, a small dog in a big cage is a recipe for disaster in an accident. You can get crate dividers so that would keep Archie safe and be suitable for if / when the new addition arrives!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I have a Guardsman double cage in the back of my car it has a divider to separate into two compartments.

I usually have it as one big space, fits two Boxers in nicely.

http://www.dogcages.uk.com/dog_cages.html
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >