register for free

Dog News

Iditarod mushers begin sled-dog race through Alaska wilderness

Mushers from around the world set off on Alaska's famed Iditarod sled-dog race to Nome on Monday in sub zero temperatures on an alternative never-before-used route from Fairbanks that could lend a new level of unpredictability to the contest.

The nearly 1,000-mile (1,600 km) Iditarod race, which typically takes nine days or longer to complete, commemorates a 1925 rescue mission that delivered diphtheria serum by sled-dog relay to the Bering Sea coastal community of Nome.

More here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0M50VZ20150309

Your comments and views:
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2015, 08:00 AM
How exciting! I can think of nothing i would rather do right now .. good luck to the mushers but especially the dogs and may they all come home safely.

Using dogs for the purpose they were bred for, rather than taking part in beauty contests, gladdens my heart. I just wish I could afford a rig to run Ben in ... or could afford to take him up to Aviemore every winter.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 07:59 AM
One of my friends is one of the mushers in the race after just completing (in Red Lantern position) the Yukon Quest.

I've been glued to all the feeds. The dogs are amazing but my goodness, it's harsh on the mushers.

Take my hat off to each and every one of them.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 10:19 AM
It's pretty harsh on the dogs as well Anniebee!! It is a true test for both man and beast of endurance, bravery and sheer bloody grit. My main ambition has to be to be able to take part in the Iditarod, but it is never going to happen of course.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top