View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2012, 03:43 PM

2 more Dogs die, due to falling through ice.

These incidents (& the one with the Horse) are all local.
It's tragic, but when will people realise that if a Dog is used to swimming in lakes & rivers, it will still head towards it, even when frozen.?
Dogs don't understand ice...they need to be closely supervised. Or kept on lead if they are likely to ignore a recall.
Our local wood has "thin ice" signs up everywhere, but I found a retriever (no owner in sight) stood on the ice trying to reach a tennis ball last week. Owner finally came to my shouts, but wasn't bothered in the slightest ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-17002585
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2012, 03:51 PM
The 1st fell through at 12.20, the 2nd at 2.06pm
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 04:47 PM
So sad/tragic If I were honest I'm not sure what I'd do. I know the sensible thing is to leave a dog as quite often dogs get out, but their fellow humans often don't. But I have a horrible feeling that I wouldn't think sensibly and would charge in after a dog. I don't think I could just stand around and watch it die
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
A couple of years ago some people were visiting their friends. They brought along their two little dogs, a Chihuahua and a Maltese. They stayed overnight and in the morning just let the dogs outside.

A while later they went out and both and fallen through the ice and drowned.

I know when we walk out dogs out near some ponds, we stay well away from them in the spring when the ice is starting to melt. They have good recall but no sense in tempting fate.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Where we walked today there was a large lake with several balls on the ice. I wouldn't have thought so many owners were so bad a shot so makes me wonder if they were thrown intentionally on the ice so the owner could laugh as the dog skidded to fetch it?

So sad for the dogs that died.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Every year more and more of these stories So sad and usually so avoidable.

Me and Whichpets nearly had heart failure today in Richmond Park when we saw a Labrador run out onto Penn Ponds where the ice was obviously very thin and clearly signed as such thankfully it didn't fall through and ran off of the ice.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
A man died the other day walking his dog (as he always did regularly) on the golf course which has many water features which were iced over.

Dog fell in, man went in after it, dog swam to safety, the owner did not.

I have said all I have to say on a previous thread.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=163556

Totally avoidable it is not like it is a surprise............
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I was in an on-lead park the other day and I seen ten dogs SEVEN of them off the lead and the pond was totally frozen over looking. An accident waiting to happen Fair enough if they have enough control....but dogs will be dogs and at some point do something unexpected. Not worth the risk. Glad to say I havent heard of anything bad having happened there (yet).

(even though that park has issued a statement to the local press asking people not to let dogs off lead for specific reasons and may well 'ban' dogs......but thats a story for another thread!)

Very sad though.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
It does amaze me when people jump into frozen water, fast flowing rivers, etc., after dogs. Usually the dog gets out and the person dies. Tragic and avoidable.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
It does amaze me when people jump into frozen water, fast flowing rivers, etc., after dogs. Usually the dog gets out and the person dies. Tragic and avoidable.
Have to say I think its one of those things that you just dont know what you would do unless you were in that position...how much is a reaction, how much is shock, how much does a LEAD cost.....but accidents can and do happen
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >