Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 03:46 PM
I know that Dogs trust do a search thing:
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming...s/default.aspx
If the link works

If not just type in dogs trust, rehome a dog and search dogs.

Any rescue would be able to help you with your choice, smaller ones even more so as they tend to know each of the dogs more individually. There are some lovely dogs on here that need homes (rescue section)

The thing you have to think about is - bigger the dog, typically means more exercise (and bigger poo)

Ultimately the choice is yours but I would go and look at the mutts and mongrels in your local rescue - you'd be surprised what you find there

But if you want a pedigree IMO you can't go wrong with a Greyhound or Cocker Spaniel

Good luck.
*TQ*
New Member!
Male 

07-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Thank you all for your help it's been great!

I think you've successfully put we off a lab (I prefer cocker's anyway to be honest).

I'm going to try and go to the local rescue centre in the next couple of weeks to get some advice and see what dogs are there.

You've definitely helped me feel better about leaving him although I have also had the idea of setting up a webcam so I can check on the dog from work. If he's looking stressed etc... I can call a neighbour to go and check on him.

To the person who mentioned a beagle, I'd absolutely love one but am just worried about the noise they might make when left alone.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by *TQ* View Post
Thank you all for your help it's been great!

I think you've successfully put we off a lab (I prefer cocker's anyway to be honest).

I'm going to try and go to the local rescue centre in the next couple of weeks to get some advice and see what dogs are there.

You've definitely helped me feel better about leaving him although I have also had the idea of setting up a webcam so I can check on the dog from work. If he's looking stressed etc... I can call a neighbour to go and check on him.

To the person who mentioned a beagle, I'd absolutely love one but am just worried about the noise they might make when left alone.
Beagles - IMO wouldn't be a good first dog. They catch a scent and they are off - unless HIGHLY trained..

Good luck with your search and we expect plenty of piccies when you've chosen one
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Just rember when looking at cockers not to go for a working cocker they as mad if not more so than springers, and on the show cocker front they can be quiet gobby, good luck with your search
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Every breed of dog has their faults, beagles may go off on a scent, labs may chew etc etc. Its a case of finding what dog would fit in best with you.

Off the top of my head, breeds to maybe consider (assuming you are getting an older,ie. not puppy)

Labrador (once out of the adolescent stage are fab dogs)
Golden retriever
Staffordshire bull terrier (plenty in rescue- unfair reputation)
Greyhound
Cocker (you need to look into show or working lines- both very different dogs, personnally i would recommend show line)

Obviously, if you go and look around your nearest rescue, chances are you will find the perfect dog that is a cross!)

I would say to steer clear of collies though, they are not for the faint hearted and dont sound particularly suited to what you could offer in a home.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Good luck in your search, I'm sorry I don't know much at all about spaniels! But just remember the breed specific rescues may be able to help

You sound like you have a lovely home to offer a dog and they will jump at the chance of rehoming one with you .

Good luck. Can't wait to see him/her! xxx

Search cocker spaniel on 'dogsblog'

http://www.caessr.org.uk/

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rescue.htm

http://www.necsr.co.uk/

Have a look on 'Many Tears' too. I challenge you not to fall in love with one on there
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:26 PM
We have an almost 6month old springer but he is very rarely left on his own for more than an hour or so in his crate during the week and very occasionally for 2-3 hours, he is a lovely dog, but when fully grown will prob need more exercise/training time, he currently has two thirty minute mainly off lead charging round a day which will at least double as he grows.

We also do training indoors at different periods throughout the day as both my husband and I work from home.

I have heard cockers can be nuttier than springers, and that seems the case with some i have seen, but have heard such a mixed bag too from people with springers as to how nutty/naughty they are. Ours is pretty good inside the home, but today recall has gone from 100-0 in a morning walk!!!!! Adolescence seems to have kicked in so a nice dog out of adolescence seems ideal!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I would definitely echo everyone else who said to check out your local rescues. For a first dog, I would recommend getting one older than an adolescent, i.e. say 3 years or upwards. At that age you generally know if they've got any behaviour problems, you may have some history from the rescue centre on whether they're ok to be left on their own for a few hours, whether they're friendly to people & other dogs.

Most dogs that are given up to rescues for behaviour problems are adolescent dogs between 1 & 3 yeears old as this is so often when any behavioural issues arise. So getting a slightly older dog means that you'll know what you're letting yourselves in for.

You sound like you're going to fantastic & responsible dog owners & all credit to you for doing your thinking & research first. Theres a wealth of experienced & knowlegeable dog owners & trainers on this forum who'll be happy to give advice (sometimes conflicting!! but well meant) & answer questions. Good luck with your search.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
I have heard cockers can be nuttier than springers, and that seems the case with some i have seen, but have heard such a mixed bag too from people with springers as to how nutty/naughty they are. Ours is pretty good inside the home, but today recall has gone from 100-0 in a morning walk!!!!! Adolescence seems to have kicked in so a nice dog out of adolescence seems ideal!
My husband grew up with a springer that he describes as taking springer nuttiness to a totally new level!

Mind you when I was a baby we had a German Shepherd that even the vet concluded the dog was just pathologically stupid by the end of it all!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
There's been some excellent suggestions on here already - I'd like to mirror them

I think based on what you've said, a retired Greyhound would be excellent for your situation - I have one and can vouch for them in a lot of ways. If they don't tickle your fancy, then I think there are several breeds you'd be fine with as first timers...There are lots of staffie's in rescue who are lovely dogs and lots of crossbreeds and mongrels who again would be lovely dogs...maybe think about the individual dogs rather than the breeds by going to a rescue centre and seeing what personalities and size suit your lifestyle

I would also agree with not needing access outside if only left for 4 hours
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »