View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with Krlyr about keeping your dog in. Unless you can build a very secure fully enclosed (including roof) dog run with padlocks on like Fort Knox, well it's just not worth it. Most older dogs should comfortably be able to hold their bladder for 4 hours. Leave the radio on, a comfy bed and a stuffed Kong and they'll be happy as larry.

Why not look at a rescue and see what cross breeds thye have? You could get a lovey 1-2 year old who was perhaps a Lab x with something a bit calmer? I agree, Labs are fab but sooooo much hard work. Nutters

You sound like you've researched well and thought it through so good luck in your search
*TQ*
New Member!
Male 

07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
If I'm honest I hadn't thought about the theft/dognapping angle only the escape angle. The area the dog will have will have a two foot wall topped with a three-four foot picket fence (I haven't built it yet which is why I'm not sure of the size). We live in a small village (Highley near Bridgnorth since you asked Kate) which has a very low crime rate so I'd feel pretty happy about leaving them out.

The people who owned the house before us had a dog (a cocker spaniel as it happens) which is the reason for the dog flap. The back door leads to the utility which will be the "doggy room". This was redecorated by the previous owners to be "dog proof", it has tiles from floor to waist height, no skirting boards and nothing to chew.

We're both willing to put in the effort (I'm looking forward to having a reason to do more walking to be honest) and we've researched training a hell of a lot so we feel fairly confident.

My partner had a collie cross when she was younger but I'm not sure if she's feel comfortable having another due to the memories etc...

I had my heart set on a cocker spaniel although we don't want anything too small.

I've been warned off springer's as they can be a bit "nuts".

I started looking at labs as I had thought they would be a good first dog. What we are really looking for is something which won't be too hard to train, won't be too big nor too small and something which we both like (not asking much are we?!).
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I think a Cocker would be a very sensible choice, if you google for the breed club I'm sure they'll have a rescue co-ordinator who would be able to help you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

There you go found a link for you.
http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rescue.htm

J.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Please just be aware that young labs can be blinking hard to train. They tend to pull on the lead like you wouldn't believe. It can make walks sheer hell and can take months of intense work just to get them walking to heel. Labs are also very strong - I've been pulled over more than once and many other Lab owners have injuries resulting from their darling little steam trains also

In other words - yes Labs are lovely but speaking from just my own experience, I would recommend getting one aged three or older.

Also: when you meet the dog you feel is the right one, be sure to take it for a walk *before* you make a final decision... Seriously.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Have you considered a Beagle?

I know they're not for everyone but they're adorable, intelligent and I read a post on here this week saying that there is a large number of Beagles needing new homes. Only down side might be that they can be vocal if left alone for a long time. But that's not true of all of them.

Just a thought
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Have you thought about going to your local rescue and asking them if they have a suitable dog for your situation?
TWOSOCKS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
My neighbours rehomed a 5yr old lab boy and hes just the best dog, he came from a family who decided they had no time for him any more, hes brill with children, adults cats, other small furries and he can be left for up to 5hrs after a good long walk, he just sleeps. if you maybe go to resuce or the lab rescue and tell them what you want they will try and find a dog that will fit in with you, its worth a try. I know two other people who have rescued labs and they put their names and details down, it may take a while but it will be well worth the wait.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Good luck with your search and welcome to Dogsey.
I think Cockers are a nice breed, I also think the Roans are lovely too.
I have to say I'd not suggest a collie...especially if your having an older rescue, that can come with 'bad' habits sadly which can be hard to undo and they can need time both exercise and mental stimulation.
Greyhounds make lovely pets too, I agree with others there
TWOSOCKS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2011, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=*TQ*;2139790]If I'm honest I hadn't thought about the theft/dognapping angle only the escape angle. The area the dog will have will have a two foot wall topped with a three-four foot picket fence (I haven't built it yet which is why I'm not sure of the size). We live in a small village (Highley near Bridgnorth since you asked Kate) which has a very low crime rate so I'd feel pretty happy about leaving them out.

The people who owned the house before us had a dog (a cocker spaniel as it happens) which is the reason for the dog flap. The back door leads to the utility which will be the "doggy room". This was redecorated by the previous owners to be "dog proof", it has tiles from floor to waist height, no skirting boards and nothing to chew.

We're both willing to put in the effort (I'm looking forward to having a reason to do more walking to be honest) and we've researched training a hell of a lot so we feel fairly confident.

My partner had a collie cross when she was younger but I'm not sure if she's feel comfortable having another due to the memories etc...

I had my heart set on a cocker spaniel although we don't want anything too small.

I've been warned off springer's as they can be a bit "nuts".

I started looking at labs as I had thought they would be a good first dog. What we are really looking for is something which won't be too hard to train, won't be too big nor too small and something which we both like (not asking much are we?!).[/QUOTE.

If you have your heart set on a cocker,have you rang the cocker rescue? a good friend of mine died last year and his family had to rehome his cocker ziggy, who was 6yrs old and well trained.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I would just go to the local rescue with an open mind. Any working type breeds, i.e. border collie, lab, etc,. would not be suitable as would need much more daily exercise to keep them happy. The rescue place should guide you on the dogs they have, background (if known) temperaments, etc. and I wouldn't be too fixed on age either, although not too young. I am sure you will see one dog who will capture your heart regardless of breed. That is what has happened to me and all my rescues have been brilliant. Good luck and look forward to hearing progress.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »