Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Would you eat meat from cloned animals?

Check out the vid here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11851819

Meat and milk from cloned cattle and their offspring are safe to consume, independent scientists have said.

The Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes said it believed the food was unlikely to present any risk.

The Food Standards Agency will discuss the conclusions in December before providing further advice to ministers.
Personally I agree with Peter Stevenson (Compassion in world farming) that farming as it is is already cruel, breeding for the highest yield giving us diseased animals to eat - and that cloning is only going to make things worse.

I'm all for evolution, that is right. But the way things are at the moment, peoples (businesses') motives are wrong.

If cloning was done more ethically, i.e. for healthy stock and not the ones yielding the most meat/milk, I might have a different view.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I think we have enough animals without cloning them, we should eat more of what we produce and less of what others produce in poor conditions! However, I dont have issue with eating it, but on preference I wouldnt.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 04:02 PM
No I would not knowingly eat cloned animals just like I would not knowingly eat genetically modified foods the key is knowingly because I don't think we are told half of what goes into our food chain.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I probably would we probably have it in our supermarkets now and they just don't tell us.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I would never knowingly eat cloned meat - it just doesn't sit right with me. The whole idea of cloning freaks me out!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 06:02 PM
No - I don't eat red meat and only eat a little white meat anyway but I don't think they've done enough long term studies. Didn't they say it was hypothetically safe? Like feeding cattle meat and bone meal was deemed safe and then followed the BSE issue.