Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*Butterfly*
New Member!
Female 

30-09-2009, 11:22 PM

The Loss of a Fur Baby

Can anyone please tell me if you ever get over losing a beloved pet?

Just over a week ago we lost our 3 year old female Staff & I cannot begin to explain how totally & utterly devestated we are felling right now!!!
The feelings of grief, guilt, hopelessness, numbness, sorrow the list is endless just consumes us we are overwhelmed with grief I cannot stress just how much we miss her, she was MY dog and to not see her or feel her or ever hear her bark again makes me sob while I type, My husbands actually had to have time off work he feels so heartbroken, We can't eat sleep or function much and I miss her so much it hurts!

I look at her photo's & watch video footage of her to feel some kind of comfort in being close to her but coming to terms with the fact she isn't close nor will she be ever again well words fail me as to how I feel???

Can anyone please tell me if they can relate in any way & how you have coped with this constant pain of missing your fur baby?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-10-2009, 12:47 AM
I can relate 100% to how you feel. It's always difficult and yes it hurts.

In my experience - In time you will find yourself smiling at the memories you have rather than welling up with tears.

Takes a wee while though xxx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 02:23 AM
I agree with phil, Morgans been gone 7 years on the 27th October an I still shed a tear but they are getting less and the good memories are getting more.
I doubt I'll ever be able to think of him without a smile and a tear (yes I am streaming now !!)
I have to say took a puppy to be vaccinated on Monday told my vet it was almost Morgies anniversary and he cried a little as well, nut then again we think he was one in a mill
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Yes I can totally relate too, we lost Sam in June and it does get easier. I think it took us both about a month before we stopped being in floods of tears about everything. I would describe my state of mind now as fragile! I haven't yet got to the stage where I can look at photo's etc without crying.There are a set taken in his last week where he is in the paddling pool with my kids and I can't even look at them yet.

I think it does take a while for you to actually come to terms with the fact that they have really gone so give yourselves time, I think it takes a while.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 06:07 AM
I know that grief too. Will be four years in March since we lost our darling Spotty - but we do think of her with smiles.
What helped? We rescued another jack. Having always been a single dog house, the emptiness was too much to bear.. and another set of paws needed a home. So, three weeks later Missy came home. I never expected to love her like I did Spotty, but my word, I do. I do. Love my MissyChief.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I can relate to everything you have said.

Come Novemeber it will be 3 years since our beloved Meg walked over rainbow bridge, and yes there are days when I am low and tears spill, but more often than not I find myself talking about those ''do you remember when Meg......'' which bring smiles and laughter.

Same with the ones that went before her, it's early days yet, give yourself time to grieve xxxxxxxxxxx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 08:45 AM
It's been 5 months since my old boy left us The way I'm feeling now I don't think I'll ever get over him.....I miss him sooooo much, but the tears are becoming less.....And I now try to think of the good times we had with a smile rather than a tear.

Thinking of you *Hugs*
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Can totally relate to how you are feeling.

We lost Jack on 22 March 2008 at about 9.30am and still miss him so much. We have two more furbabies now but Jack is still our no 1 dog even though he is not here anymore. I still fill up when I think about him and have two piccies of him stuck to the side of my screen at work and have pictures of him around the house and say hello to him frequently.

We still miss him and I think we will always miss him.

Thinking of you xxx

Karen
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't think there is anyone on this site who doesn't completely understand and empathise with what you're feeling.

Our Toby died almost 6 years ago and it still makes me well up at times but as Phil very rightly said, the memories more often make us smile and laugh now than they do make us cry.
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
in my own opinion no, I don't think you ever really get over losing a dog. The pain fades slightly over time but never goes away fully, I lost my dear old boy Harley 15 years ago and I still think of him each day. That's why my user name is harleygjc It's his name and my initials and one of my ways of remembering him.

I've lost many dogs since the late 90's and still think of each of them every day.

Makes me think of a line I heard once " to be remembered and nothing more, maybe that's the secret to immortality" as long as you remember them then they can never truely die.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >