Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 02:22 PM

Tearing up grass

WHY does she do this??

It used to just be if I wasn't paying her attention, Takara would get a mouthful of grass and start tearing it out of the soil - this was always at the park and obviously, it got my attention immediately because I had to stop her, so I can understand why she does it when I'm not paying her any attention and we've stopped (I can walk around not paying her attention - it's just when we stop and she gets bored).

But why is she now doing it when we're interacting, we can be playing fetch and she suddenly decides she's not doing it any more, she's pulling up grass.

She takes it up in big chunks and can really get going quite ferociously at it.

What is it that makes her do it? And how do I stop it?
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 02:36 PM
my mums GSD Samson does this, almost a temper tantrum. He either pulls out the greass with his teeth or digs. No idea why he does it....sorry not much help lol
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
She does seem to be having fun though... not so much a temper tantrum with her...
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
maybe she fancies herself as a bit of a landscape gardener
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Jack does this as well, it's as if it's got in his way and he's giving it a good old telling off a 'that'll teach you' kind of thing
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I wish I had an answer to this too!!! It's driving me mad the way Zena does this on my (HER!!!) lovely new turf!!! If I catch her I say no, and she knows not to do it, but if I'm indoors and she finds a soft spot, she grabs a chunk and races around eating it! She never does it out there on somebody else's grass oh no never!!! I wonder if there's something lacking and they want the vitamins out of the soil perhaps??? Don't know Lottie, but if she's doing it outside, you'd better watch your lawn at home coz that'll be next!

Lol at you Reisu!!!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Cox sometimes dug in frustration when I stop on a walk, either to talk to someone, or if we settle down for a picnic etc and he is not getting any attention. I ignored it and pretended not to notice, and he stopped after a few times of it not working. He went onto mouthing me, and when that didn't work, whining. He just whines now. Wonder how long it will be until he finds a new behaviour to try to get me to interact with him, poor deprived boy!