Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I know it's awful isn't it, I once watched a video (training session) when I worked at the RSPCA about cruelty in other countries and it made me sick physically. I'd never go to those countries and try hard not to buy anything made in them
Believe me Stephanie you're not missing anything by not going to those countries. China is by far the worst abuser of animal rights ('tho not the only one of course)

I didn't watch any of the Olympics, and it annoys me that the media and politicians seem to be able to 'convienently' forget these animal torture issues when it suits them.

I'm so glad the OP didn't post pictures, and I wish I knew what might change the Chinese morals.

BTW did you see that Sky report recently where the head nurse at a maturnity hospital in Bejing openly admitted they terminate any pregnancies where there is a chance of a deformed baby being born, and of course without the mother having any say in the matter
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 12:28 PM
I feel sick now having read the whole of that

Whenever I've seen fur trimmed jackets etc. I've always looked on the label, and it's always said "fur - synthetic" but then the jacket has probably been made in China, so maybe it isn't? Oh it's just awful, makes me feel so very sad, and sick to the stomach

I thought we'd banned imports of real fur anyway years ago? So surely, they check what's coming into this Country and only allow synthetic fur? Oh I don't think I want to be in here.......
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
The way I view this is: the people of China are extremely poor. The type of person who does this job needs to put food in their children's mouths. If the person has done this job all their life (and probably their parents did the same job and teir children will do it too) then they will be immune to any suffering of the animal. I don't think we can change a cultre such as China - they view animals as objects. That is not going to change any time soon.

But someone from the West who wears fur is IMO a million times more barbaric than the Chinese person who has skinned the animal. Someone from the West supposedly comes from a culture where it is known that animal are sentient: they feel pain and fear. Knowing that and stil wearing the fur is unforgivable.

Like people have said for years and years: if there was no demand for fur then these despicable practices would stop.
Brilliant post Sarah.

Whilst I can never imagine me doing anything like this, when it's a case of your children starving to death or killing an animal in this way, it is a no brainer I guess. Especially to someone who has been brought up in this way and doesn't understand the depths animals do have.

I do blame the Chinese authorities though as well as the Western people that wear this stuff. That said, I didn't know that often 'faux fur' isn't so 'faux' and I'm sure there are people who wear real fur without knowing the suffering the animals go through. Afterall, it's nice to think that the animals are killed humanely before being skinned, isn't it.

It's not just the animal trade that I hate about China - their human rights appal me and I refused to watch any of the Olympics as I didn't feel they should've been held there.

I'm going to be far more careful in future to ensure that the things I buy don't come from China but I don't think it will solve the problem - these people only do these jobs because they have to in order to survive.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 07:37 PM
i watched a programe once about it ,it made me really angry and cry how back ward are these people ,brainless very very cruel
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I do blame the Chinese authorities though as well as the Western people that wear this stuff.
Same here Lottie.

I was telling my OH about this thread and we started wondering why they do it when the animal is still alive? Surely it would be easi and less risky to do if the animal was killed first then skinned?

I'm going to have to start checking clothes more now too. I try to buy as much fairtrade stuff as possible and I never go into Primark/Tescoes etc. for clothes.

Nomads and Namaste make lovely clothes, a lot of it using recycled fabric and it's fairtrade
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
The way I view this is: the people of China are extremely poor. The type of person who does this job needs to put food in their children's mouths. If the person has done this job all their life (and probably their parents did the same job and teir children will do it too) then they will be immune to any suffering of the animal. I don't think we can change a cultre such as China - they view animals as objects. That is not going to change any time soon.

But someone from the West who wears fur is IMO a million times more barbaric than the Chinese person who has skinned the animal. Someone from the West supposedly comes from a culture where it is known that animal are sentient: they feel pain and fear. Knowing that and stil wearing the fur is unforgivable.

Like people have said for years and years: if there was no demand for fur then these despicable practices would stop.
Very well put Sarah, I agree. Don't blame the poverty stricken, culturally different Chinese, blame the people in the West that should know better.

J
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2