Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Im having to re-home my dog

I am having to re-home Phoebe and I am gutted. My heart is actually breaking. My husband lost his job last year that has then caused us to end up with our home being repossessed. We are now living in a tiny house right in the town centre with no garden. Its not practical but I was adamant we could make it work as were so close to the canal for walks. I viewed 26 rentals before this one and no body would let me bring my dog so taking this seamed like the only option. Phoebe hates it, the traffic spooks her, people are walking past all day and even with the curtains closed – she knows they are out there. On top of this phoebe is quite naughty out on walks and always has been, after an incident 2 years ago I stopped walking her and my husband did it, he has just got a job that takes him away 4 days a week, so ive started walking her again. On Sunday night coming out of the door phoebe spotted a cat and took my by total surprise and ended up dragging my in to the side of my car smashing in the panel then I fell and she dragged me about 4 metres on my back. I am now a bit of a mess, physically and emotionally. It would not be fair to not walk her 4 days a week, I cant afford a walker. I’ve also had to put her on a cheaper food that im not happy about but cant afford her normal food. I know re-homing her is for the best I just cant give her what she needs with my current situation but I love her so much ive done nothing but cry since Sunday. I just wanted to tell somebody who may be able to understand how im feeling as my friends have given me the “its just a dog” line making me want to smack them in the face.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Do you walk her on a head collar or harness to minimise the pulling?

Would that make it easier to take her out?

Can you leave a radio on to muffle the outside sounds?

Do you know anyone who would be happy to walk her for free such as a dog lover who cannot have a dog?

Just a few random thoughts.........
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm so sorry to read this, I had to rehome all mine 3 years ago due to illness so I understand how heartbreaking this is for you.

Firstly, what about her breeder, would they be able to take her back and find her a suitable home?

Failing that, does the breed have a rescue that you could contact?

Please don't advertise her in the papers or anything as you'll get all sorts trying to have her from you, also, if she isn't speyed then that's something you would have to think about so that she doesn't get into the wrong hands.

I'm so very sorry for you xxx
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:33 PM
All I can say is your doing the right thing for the dog. You cant keep her if you cant give her what she needs. I know that wont make it any easier and I cant imagine how your feeling but you tried to make it work, you tried your best and for that you shouldnt feel bad.

As for your friends who said she is 'just a dog', they obviously havent had a close bond with a dog. She is not just a dog, she is your friend and companion who you clearly love very much. Make sure she goes to a good home and then you can think of all the things shes getting and how happy she will be, although you will miss her it may ease your pain a bit.

I feel so sorry that you have to do this but you are doing it for the right reasons.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:41 PM
thanks - im having a blub again now.

She is spayed so wont be breeding her

Ive contacted the breed rescue they are going to help but said it will be hard as she is 5 and thats getting on a bit for a bullmastiff and she naughty.

I walk her on a halti and weve had a gentle leader. halti works the best buts she will pull till her eyes are covered in her own skin and she cant see. Had a trainer who did a great job and she behaves for my husband and my friend paul - just me she is naughty for. Trainer said ite because im fretting about something happening that im makeing phoebe stressed but how do you make yourself calm down

A friend of mine is doing "shared custody" with me untill we find a forever home. Not practical but atleast she will have a walk and a grden on teh days my husband is not here to walk her.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Oh how very sad, you can tell how this is killing you through reading your post, my heart goes out to you

I also wondered about a halti, gentle-leader or harness to help with the control when walking? Marius is good when walking but has a traffic-phobia, I put his halti on when taking him near any roads as he can sometimes panic if there is a heavy vehicle like a truck and this gives me much more control over him (like power steering).

As for the house - I don't know your personal circumstances, but used to work in an estate agents. We got around many of the landlords concerns about dog-owning tenants by getting them to agree to a signed contract and deposit that stated was only returnable if the house was left in the same condition it was rented and no damage was done by the dog. Any damage that did occur was taken out of that deposit? Perhaps, if you were able to do this, it could help you find a more suitable home where you all could live more happily?

I hope so, it would be so sad to split you all up
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:19 PM
I feel desperately sorry for you, and can understand your heartbreak over this.

It is telling that you are willing to give your much loved dog to another home - this shows just how much you care.

The cat incident seems to have been the final straw and the catalyst for your decision, and I can understand that, but don't do anything until you have fully explored every other avenue open to you.

If it does turn out that rehoming is the only possible option, then try to separate your own heartbreak from what is right for the dog........very hard to do I know, if not impossible, but if the new home is right then your dog will soon adjust and be happy.

I feel for you so very very much.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Just want to say how sorry I am to hear of your predicament.
I haven't got a solution but wish you well xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to add my sympathies to you. I have no real advice, I just hope you can work something out that enables you to keep your beloved dog. Such a difficult situation
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I really feel for you, you clearly love your dog and are so unhappy at the idea of rehoming her.

I can really relate to how you feel after being dragged down the road on your back too - my Lab pulled me over when he lunged after seeing a horse nearby. I ended up falling flat on my face, blood streaming from my hands and legs. I was really shaken by it.

Is there any way you could try a different headcollar or harness? A leather Dogmatic, or a padded Dogmatic would give you far more control - is it maybe worth a try...? As a last resort?

Also - you say that your dog does behave for your husband. That's a good thing - it means that your dog CAN and WILL walk nicely.

As someone else suggested, it's possible there is someone in your area who loves dogs and would walk yours for free just for the experience...?

Really hope it all works out - please keep us posted?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >