Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Kallo do low salt, organic stock cubes:

http://kallofoods.com/kallo/products/stock-cubes/

Stock Cubes

Kallo Organic Stock Cubes are the perfect foundation for any naturally delicious savoury recipe. They are made from only the finest ingredients, with no artificial additives or nasties. The range also includes low-salt, gluten and lactose free options so you can be totally sure you are accompanying your food with only the very best.
We are proud to say that the chicken used in our Free Range Chicken Stock Cubes meets the high standards of care laid down by the European Union regulations on organic production making it a perfect accompaniment to any delicious free range dinner.

This is the chicken one:
http://kallofoods.com/kallo/products/stock-cubes/low-salt/organic-very-low-salt-chicken-stock-cubes/

Ingredients: maize starch*, vegetable oil*, yeast extract, chicken* (7%), chicken fat* (7%), roasted onion*, caramelised sugar*, celery*, turmeric*, garlic*, parsley*, rosemary*, natural flavouring.
*organically grown
Are you allergic?
Contains Celery
Nutrition information
Typical Values Per 100ml of
made up stock Energy 8 kcal
34 kJ Protein 0.2g Available Carbohydrates 0.9g of which sugars trace Total Fat 0.5g of which saturates 0.2g of which Monosaturates of which Polyunsaturates Fibre trace Sodium 0.02g Salt 0.06g Store in a cool dry place
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm not allowed yeast

I try to steer clear of anything pre-made tbh - my food is 'fairly' bland so I don't need the huge taste most people do

Also, re the slow cooker - think I am going to get a cast iron casserole dish instead I just can't shake that smell the last slow cooker gave off
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'm not allowed yeast

I try to steer clear of anything pre-made tbh - my food is 'fairly' bland so I don't need the huge taste most people do

Also, re the slow cooker - think I am going to get a cast iron casserole dish instead I just can't shake that smell the last slow cooker gave off
Lol Azz, I know what you mean, it kind of lingers doesn't it and puts you off!! I remember one we had which we put the bacon in, and I thought it was because we left it on high for so long during each morning that it smelled, and it "tainted" our bacon, although the builders never noticed!

Why on earth do you want a cast iron casserole dish???!!! You'll be worse off with one of those I tell you!!! Not only will you always need a sizeable 6-pack to lift the thing out of the oven, but over time, I found they go "rusty" THEN you'll know all about a weird taste in your mouth! Lol! I've been there too!!!

Get a nice, non-stick casserole with a lid from Tesco or somewhere, even M&S would be better, or a ceramic, which is like the pot you had IN that slow cooker (It won't have that taste honest!!! )but steer clear of those heavy old cast iron things, they're absolutely awful! I even tried the griddle pan and it didn't last, it went just the same, i.e. rusty! Maybe I'm no good at washing up???
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Lol yeah I know what you mean but the one I have my eye on has a ceramic coating - so the iron won't touch the food itself.

I like them because they have great heat dispersion and can also be used on the hob (I tried that with a pyrex dish once.. and it smashed with all my food in it!).

I'll let you know what I end up with
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't suppose............ no, you wouldn't......... would you????!!! Did you actually ASK them if it smelled or not!!!!!!PMSL!!!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-07-2010, 05:36 PM
lol ask who and about which one
(but no I didn't - but did tell them when I took it back... the woman didn't seem at all surprised!)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
lol ask who and about which one
(but no I didn't - but did tell them when I took it back... the woman didn't seem at all surprised!)
Lol,The new cast iron one, I thought when you ordered it online, you might have added a little note, asking them whether or not it smelled!!!!!! Oh I gotta get outta here, or there'll be sending for that van
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-07-2010, 07:29 PM
*sends the van round*

I'm really funny about 'smells' tho - dunno why when I live with a great big fat <smelly> dog
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2012, 11:50 AM
reviving an oldie just bought myself a rather large slow cooker. trying it out with taties, peas and a turkey breast i would have put carrots in but were fresh out

anybody else tried turkey roast?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I was wondering why I had not seen this thread before until I checked the date - it was before I joined Dogsey!

Having bought my first crockpot/slow cooker about 40 years ago and I currently have [shuts eyes to remember...] six of them. One round 6 litre. One oval 6.5 litre. Two oval 3.5 litre and two round 1.5 litre.

I also have a small halogen oven and if I had to choose I would choose a crockpot/slow cooker over an halogen oven any day.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >