Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks guys - but c'mon you know me.. I need some recipes
Azz, basically, anything you would cook on the hob or in the oven for any length of time will benefit a slow cooker - any stews, casseroles, curries - just try one of your own recipes in it first - you'll see straight away the benefits of not having to be indoors whilst your food is cooking
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Here's my first attempt!

A beef casserole... of sorts - well I just chucked anything and everything in!

Beef (coated in olive oil and corn flour), carrots, onions, parnsips, broccoli, swede, cabbage! Then one clove of garlic, salt, pepper, some dried rosemary and even some mustard seeds LOL!

It was ok actually - but the smell whilst cooking was a bit weird LOL!!

Served with roasted potatoes with a bit of clarified butter.

And here full plate on my new desk:

One thing I noticed, is that I probably need to season it a LOT more - as I couldn't taste much of it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Lol Azz, did you just chuck it all in, in its raw state then????

To get the flavour, you need to fry that meat, fry the onion even, just leave the veg untreated, and when you've fried the beef, pour some boiling water into the frying pan and then make the gravy to add. It's imperative that everything is piping HOT when it goes in, and browned too. Maybe you did brown it first, but it doesn't look like it, it looks a bit, shall we say, aneamic??? You're a man though, so we'll let you off, could do better, and better luck next time, it should taste absolutely brilliant done in that slow cooker!!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi H,

I didn't fry it first - just chucked it all in mind you it was 'tastier' today - I actually quite enjoyed it, and there's sommin nice knowing it's all natural - no stock cubes or flavourings

I will try frying it first next time tho... how do you make your gravy? I won't use oxo or stock cubes - prefer all natural - I might use the saute pan to fry the beef, and make a gravy from the fond - whaddya think? Maybe add a bit of cornflour?

Let me know how you do yours!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Azz your food pictures, always make me hungry
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm glad they look better than they taste then
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 05:04 AM
I'd be jiggered without some kind of stock cube....... I'm a demon for strong tasting food - I don't like food that "whispers" to me- I like it to SHOUT

Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Lol your lucky you don't live with me then... cos I'd be lecturing you about those nasty 'flavourings' all the time
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I find you lose the flavour if you cook it too high for too long, slow and low is better. Don't put your veggies in at the same time, leave them until the end, that can water the flavour too.

I do all sorts in my slow cooker
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi H,

I didn't fry it first - just chucked it all in mind you it was 'tastier' today - I actually quite enjoyed it, and there's sommin nice knowing it's all natural - no stock cubes or flavourings

I will try frying it first next time tho... how do you make your gravy? I won't use oxo or stock cubes - prefer all natural - I might use the saute pan to fry the beef, and make a gravy from the fond - whaddya think? Maybe add a bit of cornflour?

Let me know how you do yours!
Lol! You need to fry the meat so that it seals all the flavour in, otherwise, it just seeps out and you end up with that insipid colour going on there on your plate !!!

I coat my beef in flour (you can use the cornflour though), then I fry it off, put it on one side, then I fry the onions, nice and slow don't burn them or you'll ruin the whole thing, add a bit of butter to them to bring out the flavour when you're frying them too, just golden and opaque looking. Take them out and put them with the beef. Leeks are good, chopped up and so is a green pepper, loads of flavour from a green pepper. Then add boiling water from the kettle to that frying pan and get all the bits off that you've fried. Make sure you've already got the slow cooker on so that it's nice and hot, otherwise you could lose a whole hour of cooking time if you don't. Put everything in there, and then the liquid on top and voila! I chuck my veggies in (apart from the leeks and onion and peppers) about 3/4 an hour befor eating. Another thing I used to do is, put a bit of foil over the top of that casserole, throw on some new potatoes so they sit on the foil, and there you go, you have a whole meal ready in half an hour. You can do that with cabbage or whatever too, sit it on a bit of foil.

If you fry off a couple of lamb chops then place them in the bottom of the warm slow cooker and leave them for 3 hours, they'll be falling off the bone, but browned off already coz you've fried them first! Oh it's very versatile once you get the hang of it, but you must have some kind of liquid at the bottom. When I was running a busy cafe, I used to fry off mountains of bacon, and keep it hot in a slow cooker about 10 kgs a time, it brought out the flavour, kept it hot and kept it just the same as if you'd just taken it out of the frying pan, but you won't need that much for your breakfast of course!!!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »