Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Keeping Bored Border Collie Occupied?

Hi all, fairly new to Dogsey so I apologise if I put this in the wrong section.

I own a 10 month old Border Collie called Max. My problem is I recently underwent an operation as I fractured my knee cap in a car accident so unfortunately I am going to be out of action for a while!

Max used to get walked 2 - 3 times a day, but as I'm unable to exercise him at the moment, my dad is very kindly taking him out for me in the evenings. He's not used to being in for this length of time and I really don't want him to become too bored!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep his mind occupied and maybe get him some exercise around the house while mummy is laid up?

Thanks, Hayley xxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Nightmare!!!

Sorry to hear about your accident

A great way of tiring dogs out is to play hide and seek with a favourite toy or treats.

I have been told that clicker training is a great way of tiring a dog's brain ... but as I haven't tried this method I can't really help ... but I am sure there are some clicker experts on here that can give you some great advice.

Stuffed frozen kongs are also good for keeping a dog occupied trying to get the goodies out. There are loads of good recipes for kongs on the web.

Also, if Max likes tennis balls (as most collies seem to ) teach him to catch it and return it to you. That way, you can stay sitting and exercise Max at the same time.

Will try to think of some other ideas.

Any pics of Max?
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks Moobli I feel a very busy day ahead for Max tomorrow will get some pics sorted for you!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, what a nightmare
We find that no amount of physical exercise tires Cassie out but mental stimulation knackers her beyond belief. We'll sit in the front room and practice her sits/downs/stays etc for treats. We also have 'indoor' balls that we can throw about without danger of wrecking the house. Do you have a garden? Could you sit in a chair and practice fetches?
Also, I would ask your lovely dad if he would take Max to different places on his walks. All we have to do is take a different route to where we're going and she's far more tired when she gets back.
Hope this helps
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Ok here goes, hope they come out ok

4 Weeks old

I Didn't touch the milk bottle! Honest Mum! (10 - 12 weeks)

Are you looking at me?!

Muuum! Leave Me Alone! I'm scruffy and tired!

Not great quality because they are from my phone but that's my boy
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Awww Max is GORGEOUS
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Awww...he's gorgeous and so looked like our Cassie as a pup. The difference is she never grew! She's very tiny
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks wufflehoond I will up his training some more aswell. He is getting very good at retrieving his tennis ball, the only thing is he tends to drop it on my knee doughnut!

He's got a few kongs dotted around the place and buried in the garden so I'll fill those for him tomorrow and hide them. Mummy will be back with a vengence soon enough! hehe
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Awww Max is GORGEOUS
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Awww...he's gorgeous and so looked like our Cassie as a pup. The difference is she never grew! She's very tiny
Thanks guys, I do love the last pic lol. Just come back from a walk where he decided to chase some geese. Little
did he know the geese were actually on a lake at the bottom of a slight slope little horror ran towards them and suddenly realised he was running out of room. He tried to stop but the ground was wet so he slid and went splash into the lake he hasn't chased any since lol
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Thanks wufflehoond I will up his training some more aswell. He is getting very good at retrieving his tennis ball, the only thing is he tends to drop it on my knee doughnut!

He's got a few kongs dotted around the place and buried in the garden so I'll fill those for him tomorrow and hide them. Mummy will be back with a vengence soon enough! hehe
You'll do fine. Mental stimulation definitely, never fails

Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Thanks guys, I do love the last pic lol. Just come back from a walk where he decided to chase some geese. Little
did he know the geese were actually on a lake at the bottom of a slight slope little horror ran towards them and suddenly realised he was running out of room. He tried to stop but the ground was wet so he slid and went splash into the lake he hasn't chased any since lol
Well that story mirrors one of ours from a few weeks ago. Cassie chasing the ducks at the park, muddy slope, tried to stop but her bum carried her in. Splash in she went and back out again twice as quickly LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >