Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
A tablet from the pet shop is not going to work, hence the worms in the poo. Brenda is right, you need to get her to the vets and have something for roundworms and tapeworm. Have you had a dog before
You can buy proper pharmaceutical wormers now over the counter at pet shops without a prescription which is a lot cheaper than the vet June - both Drontal and Panacur is available and also the puppy versions I believe of both in our local Pets at Home.

I agree with your concern and others about this ... people just do not realise how serious worms are in cats, dogs and horses. I lost a horse to worms - I kept him at livery and the yard failed to worm him, he ended up with a very high worm burden and had to be retired - he was then subsequently put down. I vowed then never to rely on anyone else to look after my horses, and the next 2 horses I had were my sole responsibility and were wormed regularly.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
not chipped but first vax also tail has docked
they said they where waiting for the kc papers to come in the post and would send them on we saw the mum and dad he gave her a tablet while we were there ??
preston lancs
O God this is not good! Docking is illegal in this country, and the old chestnut "we are waiting for the kc papers" is a common con. You need to get back in touch with these people - presumably you paid for the pup - and try and extract from them a written guarantee that if the pup suffers any consequences from not being properly wormed - or vaccinated if that is the case - that they will refund the cost of the vet fees at the very least.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Yes I buy wormers online, but I think this puppy needs to be checked over by a vet, its very obviously not had the best of starts in life and there could be problems that aren't immediately apparent. There could be a specific problem that needs a specific solution, and there are a couple of wormers only available through a vet or on prescription if there is an infestation and heavy worm burden, both of which I suspect.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
thank you and for the links some people should not breed they had a small farm with about 20 dogs horses and chickens ect i guess they docked saying she was going to be a working dog they docked 3 other pups as well
grrrrrr
and she had fleas poor love she does look more cared for now and happy they both worked all day so she was in an outdoor cage day and night
i should report them
once the vet has checked her over i will be more happy she is getting chipped this fri and second vax thats the first thing i arranged x
It gets worse! I am so sorry for you... clearly these people are disreputable backyard breeders - you cannot work all day and breed dogs. It is a full time job. Tawneywolf is a very professional breeder and will confirm this - I bred 2 litters of german shorthaired pointers back in the late '70's and I was at home 24 hours a day with them. They need constant attention - no wonder the poor little pup has a huge worm burden and fleas. You absolutely must report these people to the RSPCA - do you mind saying how much you paid for your puppy?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Yes I buy wormers online, but I think this puppy needs to be checked over by a vet, its very obviously not had the best of starts in life and there could be problems that aren't immediately apparent. There could be a specific problem that needs a specific solution, and there are a couple of wormers only available through a vet or on prescription if there is an infestation and heavy worm burden, both of which I suspect.
True - I just really despise the amount of mark up that vets put on pharmaceutical products - it is quite likely that the poor little pup has tape worms contracted from the fleas so I agree with you re the need for a vet visit.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2016, 10:03 PM
People get away with this sort of stuff all the time. The KC couldn't care less as long as they get their registration fees, there are no rules stopping people from breeding from non health tested dogs. PRA is particularly nasty, even one parent being a carrier can result in half the litter going blind, both parents mean the entire litter goes blind at a certain age. Stuart Ellis told me it goes off like an alarm clock, staffies go blind as early as 12 weeks, and they are subject to the most indiscriminate breeding, and are sold and passed on in the most awful circumstances. I shudder to think how any that go blind end up.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2016, 10:06 PM
That is awful. I remember back in the days when I had a labrador the vet telling me that they were vulnerable to PRA.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2016, 10:14 PM
There are genetic tests you can have to see if your dog is a carrier of PRA and also cataracts. Puppies should be litter eye screened at around 6 weeks to see if there is any sign of it, there is no excuse these days for this to happen. But it happens because people aren't prepared to put their hands in their pockets and ensure that the puppies they breed aren't going to end up living a short and painful life with heartbroken owners with no come back. 20/30 years ago a lot of this wasn't possible and people were unaware of hip and elbow dysplasia and that it was inherited and to check the parents of your puppy were BVA scored. Even now I hear day in day out about people not knowing what they should be looking for, despite the KC and many other reputable organisations publishing the information online, they think it won't happen to them, well it can and it does.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2016, 10:27 PM
So sad - because it is the poor dogs that suffer the most
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Yeah but people keep buying them don't they, a cheap puppy is not necessarily cheap when you add up how much the vet visits cost. That puppy should have been microchipped BY LAW, they have broken the law, will anyone do anything about it, very doubtful, they have docked the poor dogs tail, ILLEGAL, will they be prosecuted, again highly unlikely, so they will continue to take the money, puppies will continue to suffer, because of course you can always go out and buy another one, what price a life eh I very much doubt a vet will have docked the puppies tails, they will have done it themselves, again ILLEGAL, worthless scum If they are at work all day how do the puppies get the 4 meals a day they should have got, how will the mother have been fed 5 times a day whilst she was feeding them, like mine are. Answer is none of this will have happened. Just spend as little as possible and sell them for as much as possible, breed the poor bitch every season for as long as she is viable, then probably dump her and start breeding from one of her offspring
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »