View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 04:26 PM
We have large heating tubes on the tops of our outdoor dog kennels for when it's cold, a lamp should work too as long as the pup can't get access to wires or anything chewable?

I would also make a "box" bed with a lid, not too big so the pups body heat keeps it cosy, with just a small hole as an entrance, again keeping as much heat in as possible. Nice deep vet bedding for it too.

Sorry can't be of more help
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by goat364 View Post
Ok.
1. The dog will be in the garage for a maximum of 6hrs, maybe 1 or 2 days a week. Someone is home at all other times and the dog will be inside the house.
2. Its an attached garage and the house is only 10years old so its all insulated. Drafts are minimal. I can and will, if i have to, heat the garage to the same temp as the house.
3. The chemicals in our garage consist of a few cans of latex paint and some motor oil. All in sealed containers.
4. A crate in the house is possible, but I'd rather not make the pup have to "hold it" that long and I also don't want to have to clean up the "accident" in the crate when i get home.

I'm looking for advice on heat lamps and if people have had good or bad results in using them to warm a young dog. This will be my 4th dog, second collie, but the first time i'll be raising a pup in the fall/winter.
Sorry but 6 hours is too long for a young puppy to be left alone

If the paint etc have been used in the garage the chemicals will still be in the atmosphere

Why can you not use a puppy pen in the house ?

Heat lamps come in two type-the Infrared lightbulbs & the dull emitter. The first ones are made of glass & can explode/shatter, the dull emitters(as used in commerical livestock rearing)have a much smaller range of heat & would probably need to be withing the reach of the puppy to keep it warm.

If you really want to keep your puppy for any length of time in a garage then you will need to have a insulated kennel & run rather than a just an open pen, you could then put a heating bar
or a bed with a built in heater

Of course you would need to ensure that your puppy won't be able to reach the power cabling
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 04:51 PM
My concern is also that most garages even with a window tend to be dark, dank places. When I got my pups aged 8 weeks I had a large crate (with the door removed) in the corner of the kitchen with a pen coming off it. It was their area and gave them somewhere to 'toilet' outside of the crate. They were only left at night in there or if I was out shopping (I'm fortunate enough not to work). Maybe you could have a crate/pen or a room divider (mothercare) to cordon off an area in your kitchen. If you left a radio on for the puppy and made sure it was tired before you left, hopefully the little mite will just sleep for most of the time. Good luck and I hope you can sort an area inside the house instead of the garage!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry, me again - Leaving a puppy for six hours won't help with the toilet training. Do you have a neighbour or someone who could come in and just spend a little time with him/her. Give him a little meal and then take him outside to do his business. The heating pads that you can buy to go in the bed are not suitable as they can be chewed/eaten. I hope you sort something out that is suitable to you and the puppy.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by goat364 View Post
The UNHEATED garage can get that cold in the dead of winter. That's why I'm asking about heat sources. I plan to make the garage (or at least the pen) a warm place before i put a pup out there.
It gets very cold in Seattle during the winter. Very cold indeed. And yet your unheated garage can get that cold?

I should be very surprised if it even gets to that temperature in the winter. More like well under freezing point I would think.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Please reconsider keeping your pup in the garage while you are at work. Why not crate train him/her so they can be in the house? Also six hours is too long to leave a pup on its own - will you be employing a dog walker to come in and feed the pup and let him/her out to relieve themselves?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Try doing a search for the type of heating used in commercial kennels. This should give you an idea of what is and what isn't safe to use.

Good luck with your new puppy
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Have you told the breeder your intentions? 6 hours a day 1-2 days a week, 11 week old pups are fed approx 3 times a day, how are you going to do that and to use the excuse for it to pee/poo how are you going to house train him he will be getting mixed signals on where he's supposed to go. You've already said it gets pretty cold there, a garage is a big area to keep warm, especially temperatures that an 11 week old pup has been used to.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Cleaning a crate would be far easier than cleaning the garage floor every day!

6 hours in a row is too much for a tiny puppy
I know we need to work but if you are getting a puppy you need to make some changes

If possible it would be best for someone to take some time off work for a few weeks to get the puppy settled in

Then get someone to come in while you are at work - for a tiny puppy in an 6 hour day I would be needing someone to come in at least twice to start with

I would be really careful about what kind of heating to use with a puppy - no wires anywhere the pup can get to - and they can get everywhere
nothing that can be knocked over
something that is OK being left on for hours on end

Personally I would have though a pen or crate in your house would be easier for everyone
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Shutting an animal, especially a social animal, in a dark, unheated, unventilated brick box for the sake of a clean floor when you get home is simply cruel.
JMO.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >