Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vlad99
New Member!
Male 

30-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Gone off his food

Hi To all you dogsey people! I am looking for some advice
all of a sudden my 2 year old westie has gone of his food just turns up his nose when offered to him. Don't think he is ill as he is still active and will eat a treat when given I know they can get fed up with the same food how do i encourage him to start eating again. Thank for any replies.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Halve his rations, put down the food in the morning, take away after 10 minutes and feed NOTHING until the next meal.

Sometimes dogs need their appetite stimulating by going without.
vlad99
New Member!
Male 

30-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi smokeybear will try that thanks for the advice
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2011, 02:52 AM
Don't let the not eating go on too long. If he's still not eating in 3 or 4 days time you need to see the vet just in case theres an underlying cause - sore teeth or tonsillitis perhaps.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 09:31 AM
if you have had him checked over by a vet and there is nothing wrong healthwise, then i agree with smokeybear.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 09:36 AM
If it`s a new thing, I`d be looking for reasons, personally.
Check his health - is it OK
Look at excercise - is it enough?
look at his development - is the loss of appetite due to him needing less as he`s not a growing pup?
Has the food `gone off` (it does happen with some food - even kibble)

What are you feeding?
I used to feed top-quality processed food and still have to add mince etc to tempt my dogs to eat. They simply didn`t like it.
I know all the arguements about `they`ll eat if they`re hungry` but I want my dogs to enjoy their food.
In the end I switched to Raw feeding and haven`t had an unpolished bowl since.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Agree with C&D except the raw feeding bit

If u havent been to see vet for while, maybe checkup is advisable especially if normally a good feeder.
vlad99
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi To everyone thanks for the replies i got.
My dog fingers crossed is now eating I had a wee idea i bunged his food in the microwave for 30 sec. Just to warm it so he got a really good smell of the food and he ate the lot. Don't know if this is right or wrong but it worked
Thanks again
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Good thinking!

I warm the girls food in the microwave in winter. My big one won't touch a raw bone or chicken wing even in the summer if I give it to her straight out of the fridge.

When my little one .... who's always been a faddy eater .... turns her nose up at meal time I'll put a few cubes of cheese or liver sausage on top of the food in her bowl. More often than not after she's eaten them, she'll then start to eat her meal.
vlad99
New Member!
Male 

01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi thanks for your reply chlosmum do you think it would work if i cut a hot dog and mixed it in his food
vlad99
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >