Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Keeping dog's feet warm after walks?

What do you do to keep them warm?
I just got back from a walk with my dog crying as her feet were so cold and she was pulling more than normal, so i'm being curious as to what you do for your dogs.
I have arthritis in both my knees and my knees have been KILLING recently (think millie may be getting it now so i'm looking at glucosamine supplement) anyway i use handwarmers and sometimes put one on her feet (when cooler) whilst i use the others.
I just feel really cruel making her cry for a walk she doesn't like (very lazy dog
thanks in advanced
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi there, and firstly I am full of sympathy for your arthritis....not funny.

I am wondering whether you have a garden? If so is it really worth that walk, given that your dog really doesn't want to go for a walk in this weather, and is in pain afterwards coupled with your own severe discomfort.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
What do you do to keep them warm?
I just got back from a walk with my dog crying as her feet were so cold and she was pulling more than normal, so i'm being curious as to what you do for your dogs.
I have arthritis in both my knees and my knees have been KILLING recently (think millie may be getting it now so i'm looking at glucosamine supplement) anyway i use handwarmers and sometimes put one on her feet (when cooler) whilst i use the others.
I just feel really cruel making her cry for a walk she doesn't like (very lazy dog
thanks in advanced
Is she getting snow building up between her toes, that can hurt them? You can prevent this by using some vaseline or olive oil on their feathery bits....If it is arthritis I can only suggest wrapping up warm on your return and looking into the glucosamine....Hope you both feel better as the weather warms up.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I would see a vet as this does not sound normal - how did you know she was crying because she had cold feet and not for another reason?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2010, 11:01 AM
cos she only cries when we're walking on snow - she's fine where it's been gritted.
I may walk her every other day or so as we do have a garden it's just not very big for her. I may try the vaseline at the same time whenever i walk her from now on.
It's only such a pain as the heating never seems to work and it -10 outside so we learning to stay cuddled up which seems to help a lot lol
thanks
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi - sorry about your arthritis - hope you are not in too much pain.

I always rub loads of vaseline or sudocrem onto my Saluki's feet before we go out in the snow (a tip I learnt on this forum) otherwise she gets hard balls of snow between her pads which is very painful. I am slapping it on quite liberally at the moment and by the time we get back she may have the odd little ball but nothing painful and there is no sign of the vaseline so you don't have to wipe it off. My hands are lovely and smooth as well

Look after yourself.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Are you sure it`s cold? The salt and grit people spread is quite corrosive - it there is a small cut in the pad it can get into that. (Sorry - just read that last post)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 01:04 PM
As above, but also what about her feet themselves, are the very furry? If so, I strongly suggest you cut all the fur off up to the level of the pads, otherwise, the snow clings there and turns into horrendous rock hard snowballs (this happened to my dog the other week, she couldn't walk and cried!). I've now cut all that fur off, both above and below the foot and all is fine, no accumulation of snow or ice anywhere to be seen and we were out in thick snow this morning for over an hour! good luck, check out underneath those feet when you are out, coz if I'm right, your poor dog can't even walk, it's like walking on stilletos!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Every time i walk her, no matter the weather i always check her feet just to make sure that she hasn't managed to get herself injured (her old past time)
Her feet aren't hairy at all, her furs probably about the same length as a labrador. I will have to try vaseline/sudocrem though, she hasn't been out today as it's horrible out there at the moment and don't want to risk it. Family are adament that it will stain the carpet, but you guys have said it doesn't so i'm gonna do it anyway
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Any barrier cream will suffice, the E45, the Sudocreme anything like that, it acts as a barrier, and it always come off anyway by the end of a walk, and when you wipe those feet you will find they seem to dry better too. Good luck with her, it's not good in this snow is it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >