Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 08:42 AM

Anal glands emptying randomly!

Hi I've been away for ages but back now

We have this problem with Ziggy that sometimes for no reason he empties his anal glands. He could be sleeping, or playing, or just sitting on your lap and he empties them out!

It's so disgusting... I was just wondering if there's a reason this happens and if there's anything we can do to prevent it?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Nice to have you back:smt039 :smt024

Haven't had the problem with any of my dogs previously, but there is a suggestion on this link it may be dietry related? http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/anal_glands.htm

I would have a word with the vet next time you are in, I believe that the glands can be removed however some don't like the idea of this because they act as 'dustbins' apparantly! (so it says anyway!!)

Hope the problem gets sorted, I remember how foul the smell is vividly when my old mongrel had to get hers emptied
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 08:49 AM
I have never had this problem myself but I would give the vet a call just to see what they suggest
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Ozzysmom Hi Trixy

Well it's funny you should post that link because both my dogs eat Burns, but only Ziggy has this nasty problem. We emptied Archie's out the other day (yuk) because he was scooting, but he never sprays just because. And neither of them are infected or anything... in fact Ziggy doesn't even seem to notice when he does it... it's like he leaks a bit :s

They are due for an annual visit to the vets soon, so I'll mention it then....
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi ooee, Harvey like most Cavalier has a few problems, and skids occassionaly. Vet visit maybe ?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 09:00 AM
well look on the bright side .....all the time they are empying they are not getting blocked
just a thought nice to see you back
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Does he get raw bones/chicken frames/necks, etc.? These will usually help to form solid stools. The solid stool will, in turn, help to empty the glands during defecation.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks HM and Inca....

Inca it's not very 'bright' when they empty all over my lap though:smt078

Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 09:18 AM
no i know its not nice I once got a face full and that was horrid ...one of mine last year had a blocked gland ( you may remember ) and the gland ruptured ...like the others have said perhaps a bone from time to time may help

good luck hun x

PS i empty the girls in the bath now its easier lol and washes away
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2006, 09:37 AM
hi Ooee good to see you..Although anal gland problems can be diet related I think with a few dogs it is a matter of the glands not functioning correctly from the start resulting in either the glands getting blocked and too full than leaking , or leaking a little all the time. Maybe in these dogs the glands are not correctly formed . If they get blocked there is a chance of an abscess forming so they need watching for signs of swelling or infected discharge .
I have found that once a dog has had an anal gland problem it tends to continue and in these dogs it is a good idea to pre empt any problems by emptying the anal glands routinely every few weeks as a preventative measure .. If done correctly this is a quick and painless procedure.

I would mention it to your vet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >