Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
colliemadwoman
New Member!
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:46 AM

handstripping versus clipping

Have heard about both techniques does any one know the benefits of handstripping as it seems abit harsh?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Hand stripping is simple it is only removing the dead coat & is not painful for the dog, many groomers sadly do not handstrip & use clippers on all dogs & actual ruin the coats so much that it either takes years of correct care to get the coat back or leave the dog having to be clipped for the rest of it's life.

Handstripping a breed like a West Highland White or Border Terrier ensures that the coat remains waterproof if these breeds are clipped the coat goes soft & fluffy & gives the dog no protection at all from the weather

Some breeds need to be clipped like Poodles.

What breed are you referring to being handstripped ?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 12:37 PM
if you are using your fingers,handstripping is not harsh,you are removing only the 'dead coat'(i find it therapeutic)
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Ive yet to handstrip my dally, but ive read that it cleans the coat more effectively, and removes alot of loose hair - ideal for dallies who moult all year. It is supposed to be done with dew off the grass, as this brings a better shine to the coat than ordinary water- has anyone heard of that? does it work?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by annspot80 View Post
Ive yet to handstrip my dally, but ive read that it cleans the coat more effectively, and removes alot of loose hair - ideal for dallies who moult all year. It is supposed to be done with dew off the grass, as this brings a better shine to the coat than ordinary water- has anyone heard of that? does it work?
I didnt know you could hand strip a dally?

I thought it was ment for breeds like wire coated terriers, IWH and the likes?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:20 PM
There are a few breeds you can hand strip

I do my Welsh and Lakeland terriers but I have also done A couple of Spaniels.

It leaves them with the correct coat that is better rotction against the weather
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if you are using your fingers,handstripping is not harsh,you are removing only the 'dead coat'(i find it therapeutic)
Me Too ~ I do handstrip but have to limit myself as it wreaks havoc on my hands afterwards (wrecked wrists!) But I really enjoy it