Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:22 PM

R.I.P little fishy

I have had my tank for about 3 years now (coldwater) the first fish we got were 2 Shubunkins, they were tiny and grew to quite a size.

I have come home from work today to find one is dead

Such a shame as a few fish i've had, have come and gone but these guys have been with us from the start.

R.I.P little fishy xxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Ahhh, I know how you feel

A little story for you:

I remember when we had our tropical tank we had a lovely Mollie who was pregnant. Well we did all the stuff like putting her into a holding tank. Oh was at work and I was just stunned when I saw all these tiny little fishes coming out of her mouth....
We watched and waited for them to grow big enough to be released. We had a few guppies and a surami and a few I cant remember the names of now, all living quite happily together.

So one day, I thought "The babies are big enough" now, so I released them, My God it was like a feeding frenzy, All my babies were being gobbled up. I picked up on Guppy and shook it to get the baby out of it's mouth, it's little tail was dangling out of it's mouth
I was in floods of tears phoning OH at work and asking him what to do...managed to save about 8 babies...lesson well learned that.

So yea, it might only be a little fishy but you do grow attached to them

Elaine xxx
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Ahhh, I know how you feel

A little story for you:

I remember when we had our tropical tank we had a lovely Mollie who was pregnant. Well we did all the stuff like putting her into a holding tank. Oh was at work and I was just stunned when I saw all these tiny little fishes coming out of her mouth....
We watched and waited for them to grow big enough to be released. We had a few guppies and a surami and a few I cant remember the names of now, all living quite happily together.

So one day, I thought "The babies are big enough" now, so I released them, My God it was like a feeding frenzy, All my babies were being gobbled up. I picked up on Guppy and shook it to get the baby out of it's mouth, it's little tail was dangling out of it's mouth
I was in floods of tears phoning OH at work and asking him what to do...managed to save about 8 babies...lesson well learned that.

So yea, it might only be a little fishy but you do grow attached to them

Elaine xxx
Awwww poor babies, we had a similar incident when we had a Goby, we also had some cloud minnows, I seemed to keep losing count of them and was sure the numbers were dwindling, then we saw it first hand, the Goby, stalking them and then pouncing and eating them

I went into panic and rescue mission mode too, we had 11 to start with and I managed to save about 6, the Goby later commited suicide by jumping out of the tank, the guilt was just too much for him
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Awwww poor babies, we had a similar incident when we had a Goby, we also had some cloud minnows, I seemed to keep losing count of them and was sure the numbers were dwindling, then we saw it first hand, the Goby, stalking them and then pouncing and eating them

I went into panic and rescue mission mode too, we had 11 to start with and I managed to save about 6, the Goby later commited suicide by jumping out of the tank, the guilt was just too much for him
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
awwww such a shame

i sold my big tropical tank
shame

but i still have 1 remaining fighter fish called simon