View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 07:33 PM
TBH I think using an e collar on an alligator(or a crocodile on another continent)wouldn't really have much effect. As far as I know they have a very high pain threshold & wouldn't the e collar short out in the water ??

I would think staying well clear of them would be the best
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by DarkWolf View Post
I wasn't going to bother coming back here but I am going to post one last time.

Avoid gators: In case you missed it, I live in the Everglades. They can come in to the yard. A bit hard to avoid them in those cases even if I were going to take my dogs directly from the house to the car.
I think I may be confused as to what exactly is going on DW. Have you trained your dogs to avoid alligators or do you rely on the e-collar to ensure that your dogs don't go near them?

Sounds like dangerous country you live in. Could you not fence off a section of yard so that your dogs can go out safely without you having to constantly worry about them when they go out there?

How do other people in FL manage: Most of them don't live in the Everglades. Even so, alligators reside all over FL. And some people DON'T manage. They lose their dogs to the gators.

Gators are like cars: Not even close. With cars, I'm pretty dang sure I'm going to know where a car is passing by. I can walk my dogs up to a car, parked, and that car is not going to eat my dogs. I can, with assistance of another person, teach my dogs not to chase cars or go near moving vehicles. This is not possible with an alligator.
In much the same way as you can teach a dog to 'check in' with the owner before going off to play with another dog/chase a squirrel/chase off after anything really, you can teach a dog to check in with you before chasing after alligators. It's not really a matter of having a friendly alligator who will not eat your dogs available throughout the training, it's a matter of teaching your dog to check in with you under all circumstances before going off to chase or play.

Gators can hide in lakes, canals, streams, brush, etc. And it doesn't matter one whit if my dogs are attached to the leash or not, an alligator has NO PROBLEM taking the dog right off of that leash. It has happened several times to other people. Of course I don't let my dogs, (lab mixes), play in the lakes and canals. But I do have to take them for a walk and to take them out to go to the bathroom.
I'm afraid no amount of training no matter what method and no amount of management no matter what method will stop an alligator killing one of your dogs (or yoruself for that matter) if one comes suddenly out of hiding in the way you describe. Neither dog, nor human will have the time to take avoidance action surely?

Now, we can all sit here and state that "I would take MY dog 8 miles up the road!" but that doesn't mean it's "SAFE", it just means that we are now in some sort of civilization. It does not mean there are no gators there. And, let's live in reality, I am not going to drive 8 miles up the road each and every single time my dogs have to use the bathroom. Not at 8 in the morning, not at 1 in the afternoon, 5 in the afternoon, 8 at night and just before bed. They need to learn to get along in their environment.
Again, I'm confused. You said you have a yard. Can't your dogs toilet in the yard?

I suppose someone would say, "Oh then you shouldn't have dogs." These dogs were dumped out here, in the Everglades, by idiots. It would have been so much better to just leave them out there where they would, for sure, be killed? They were 3 months old when they were tossed out here, like garbage, and didn't have a clue about the wildlife.
There are some very cruel people in this World of ours. Do you think that these people dumped the dogs in your area hoping they would be killed? How sadistic is that?

Or perhaps they should have gone to the pound instead. MAYBE someone would come along in 5 days and adopt them. Maybe they would have been put down, instead. I'm sure those were much better alternatives, right?
No one would ever suggest that a dog be left out in the cold, put down or end up in the pound with a very uncertain future. Well done for taking them in and doing your best to cope with them in a very demanding environment
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Am sorry and cannot begin to imagine life in the'Everglades' but how do folk go about things with toddlers, young children re. the alligators? Don't get me wrong n know that two different species but if the alligators are a danger/worry to those you love n care for why would you not keep them in close proximity until can go elsewhere for 'free time'. Many folk here in UK and other places have to do just that,mean no offense whatsoever n hope you find an answer soon.
Best wishes.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 09:32 PM
ON A LIGHTER NOTE - Buy big gun. Alligator shows up. Blow its head off. Simples.

Snorri
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
and this is the idea with all training <sigh>

However, in the opening post in this thread is this comment:

"I can't take the chance of them not listening to me that one time".

which suggest that the OP is relying on an e-collar as a maintenance measure, ie see dog approach alligator, push the button to stop the advance - or maybe I read it incorrectly?????

We have a member on the board who lives in the US who has trained her dogs to avoid snakes without an e-collar. What makes you think that alligator avoidance is any different?
Can't speak for the op but the general rule with avoidance learning is the dog does it itself. Maybe op is using the e collar to enforce a leave or recall around gators.

It took that member a long time didn't it, with snake avoidance we are talking one short session. Seeing as a mess up = dead dog I'm more confident about e collar than her techniques.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Leads/long lines are no guarante.

I have seen enough dogs do ''the bad thing'' when on a long line or lead to know that this is not a solution.

I regularly (we're talking lots here) get calls from people whose dog attacked dog/person on lead or who broke free and attacked sheep/horse or who broke free and nearly got flattened ect.
And in one very sad case a pair of dogs who got loose and ran across a road, only one made it to the other side.

I would never trust my dogs safety to a bit of rope tbh.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by rubythebeagle View Post
If you live in such threat of Alligators could you not keep yours dogs on a lead when you take them out?

Not ideal, but atleast they would be close to you at all times so as you can help to keep them away from danger.
He said that the dogs can be taken when they are on leads----so I fail to see that an e collar would make a lot of difference----would just mean that the dog got a shock just before being eaten.

rune
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 10:08 PM
From my knowledge of snake training.

The dog often becomes aware of the snake (smell) way before the human. The dog will then take evasive action.

An example with the snake training is one of the first e collar documents I read had a piece on this, it advised that once the dog was trained the owner should be aware of any spots the dog avoided as a snake would be there.

So if the dog is on lead and senses a gator the dog will jump away and hopefully get enough distance to avoid being eaten.

Adam
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Can't speak for the op but the general rule with avoidance learning is the dog does it itself. Maybe op is using the e collar to enforce a leave or recall around gators.

It took that member a long time didn't it, with snake avoidance we are talking one short session. Seeing as a mess up = dead dog I'm more confident about e collar than her techniques.

Adam
Once you teach a dog to check in when you're around, they do it automatically. Agreed the dog would need to avoid if unsupervised (although why you would let a dog go unsupervised in such a dangerous environment is beyond me), this can still be taught. I honestly can't remember how long the other member (and sorry, forgotten the name) took, but I would imagine most of the time would be taken in gaining confidence and trust in the training. That would apply no matter what technique is used, unless, of course, ego gets in the way and overconfidence steps in way too early.

To be totally honest, I would think snakes a far bigger problem than alligators. Far as I know, alligators can't get over a six foot fence? Snakes, however, can get anywhere.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I would never trust my dogs safety to a bit of rope tbh.

Adam
I would never trust my dog's safety to a battery operated remote control that relies on being quick off the mark in unexpected circumstances to pick it up and find the button, let alone mess about with the levels it has on it
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »