Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My memory of the whole anti apartheid moevement strangely doesn't have Mrs T in it, spearheading the campaign.....it does have her doing something else though...
apartheid - yeah Mrs Thatcher didnt spearhead the campaign because she knew that the Afrikaans would ultimately suffer so she moved away from sanctions.
The interesting thing is that Botha tells it like it is - he has no reason to put a spin on history - the real pressure came from the US and UK and noteably letters from Mrs T direct to him explaining her disgust at racist regimes and the unfair treatment the S- African govt was being seen to conflict with the UK governments stance on racism.

Anyway Ramble - now youve seen its just Helen to argue with - hes a couple of hypothetical senarios you may wish to answer to validate your vieww on Mrst T while this threadds briefly got your attention again

1 - The country has been reduced to a three day week by Unions stranglehold on the workforce and the country is slipping into debt - what would you suggest

2 - Your a working class council estate tennant who has been given the once in a life time - never heard of before - opportunity to buy your council house for a fraction of its real worth and so cheap is the asking price that at a little stretch you can take a small rise in your rent and buy it immediately baggin you a mark to market equity boost goig into potentially and commonly six figure windfalls. You dont earn much but this is your only time to get on the property market - what do you do?

3- A country invades british soil - what do you do?

three should be enough for now
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
apartheid - yeah Mrs Thatcher didnt spearhead the campaign because she knew that the Afrikaans would ultimately suffer so she moved away from sanctions.
The interesting thing is that Botha tells it like it is - he has no reason to put a spin on history - the real pressure came from the US and UK and noteably letters from Mrs T direct to him explaining her disgust at racist regimes and the unfair treatment the S- African govt was being seen to conflict with the UK governments stance on racism.
Aha.....so apartheid ended because Mrs T sent him a letter saying she was a bit annoyed....oh perlease.....
Anyway Ramble - now youve seen its just Helen to argue with - hes a couple of hypothetical senarios you may wish to answer to validate your vieww on Mrst T while this threadds briefly got your attention again
I love H to bits and this is the first time we have ever disagreed on here about anything. I can disagree with her and still love her to bits. Other than H's name being in that paragraph, I don't understand anymore of it....
1 - The country has been reduced to a three day week by Unions stranglehold on the workforce and the country is slipping into debt - what would you suggest
Not what she did.
2 - Your a working class council estate tennant who has been given the once in a life time - never heard of before - opportunity to buy your council house for a fraction of its real worth and so cheap is the asking price that at a little stretch you can take a small rise in your rent and buy it immediately baggin you a mark to market equity boost goig into potentially and commonly six figure windfalls. You dont earn much but this is your only time to get on the property market - what do you do?
I don't understand a lot of that. My parents bought their council house a that time (if you'd read the thread you'd see that) they certainly didn't make a six figure sum, but it did ensure I hardly saw my dad....personally, I would rather they hadn't bought the house and I had had time with my dad when I was a kid.
3- A country invades british soil - what do you do?
Make sure it doesn't happen in the first place.
three should be enough for now
As I've said, it's not up to me to say what I would have done differently as nothing alters history (except people who write articles for the Mail on Sunday it would seem.... )I don't have to offer alternatives to what she did just because I disagree with what she did and what she did to the country.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As I've said, it's not up to me to say what I would have done differently as nothing alters history (except people who write articles for the Mail on Sunday it would seem.... )I don't have to offer alternatives to what she did just because I disagree with what she did and what she did to the country.
so Botha writes for the Mail on Sunday does he?

all you do is hark out comments with out any substance

Mrs T ruined miners

people who write for the mail alter history

i mean come on dont say you cant alter history and then moan that communities are still suffering 25 years on - dont pick and choose when you can pass comment and when you dont have to - you just sound dense

you jump over every word Helen puts in and come back with nothing - no alternative - no contradiction - just empty statements - how can someone with so little in the way of ideas keep jumping on people who have them???????

do you do one word answers then?

were unions a good thing for the country in the 70's?

would you keep running mines that lost the country money indefinately?

would you let another country invade british soil ?

would you buy a house for a third of its value if given the opportunity?

come on that aint too taxing is it?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-07-2008, 01:07 PM
oh no now rambles in a dilemma - that wasnt from the daily mail or mail on sunday - but dont disturb her shes thinking about 4 simple yes or nos for me ( fingers crossed )
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Helen made a lot of points why Thatcher should have a State Funeral for what she did to make this country GREAT again.

So to list ones she missed.

Thatcher took over a divided nation in 1979.

The two past Govements, one Labour one Consertive had mad a pigs ear about it.

She outlawed the closed shop (to work you had to join a union)

She made the unions the make right to strike to a closed ballot(up to then most held a hand vote)

She made that pickets only had 6 union members to stop so scabs going to work.

The Labour party stated at the time they would remove all these laws against the WORKING man, they did not and union leaders after stated that these laws where needed.

SCARGIL tried to take this country to a one party state and used the miners to TRY achive his end.

Thatcher should have a State funeral because she stoped this country being taken over by a nasty dogma instuted by a moron who used out moded crap to gain his ends.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 03:22 PM
nickyboy your nearly on 500 posts ............steady on
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Dontcha just hate it when you're always right!!! Thanks for that galty, two shovels are always better than one, when in deep sh*te!

I haven't had so much fun in years, and I hate politics, I might change that to past tense now though, after the interest I've gained in this thread!

C'mon who's next my fists are up again!!!!!
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
nickyboy your nearly on 500 posts ............steady on
hahaha thanks inca

but i cant reply to your comments in case i go off topic

so ill just say again great informative post galty on the Botha comments - 'straight from the horses mouth' on Thatchers contributions to breaking down apartheid
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks to the last two posts

Did Google about a statement that Mandela made thanking Thatcher for bringing the end to the Apartith(sp) Gov in SA, and came across the backlash against Cameron
Page 32 of 33 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 >