Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Cocker Spaniel
04-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

Should A Puppy be house trained at 12 weeks old?

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: white GSD called Lexus.
Krusewalker is Male
04-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #2

Re: Should A Puppy be house trained at 12 weeks old?

12 weeks is definitely wishful thinking.
at this stage, you need to be taking him out for toilet every half hour roughly including eveyrtime he wakes up
and praising him when he goes outside and ingoring when he goes inside.
dont use bleach, the amonia simulates dog wee, use biological washing powder.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Cocker Spaniel
04-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply,
Why do people think he is able to control his bowels reasonably and not poo in the house but not his bladder?

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: white GSD called Lexus.
Krusewalker is Male
04-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

lots of puppy weeing can do with either excitement or submission. whereas poos are just food evacuation (or medical). humans are exactly the same.
my guess is they are little regular tiddles?

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: A right mix and match
04-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

He doesn't need to poo as much as he needs to pee, you are probably taking him out enough/at the right time for his poops but you would be surprised the amount and frequency they pee.

My new pup is just 7 weeks but she can pee outside and then need to go again within 15mins, especially if she's playing with the other dogs or has just eaten/drank something, these usually bring on a need to go. Then at night she will only go once in the night at about 2-3am and not again 'til morning. It's just random sometimes and you just have to look out for him sniffing about or circling. 12 weeks is still very young and if he needs to go he will just go.

You sound as though you are doing a brilliant job though with it! House training is usually what most new owners find the most difficult and frustrating.

Hope that helps.

Dogsey Veteran

04-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #6

Your doing really well and at that age its fair to expect the pup knows it should go outside
but being that young they will still have accidents where they just dont realise they have to go
and they do wee a LOT, and sometimes a pup needs to wee more than once so if you have them out and they wee and then they wee again in the house pretty soon after then just keep them out longer next time
Puppies often wee right after waking, eating, drinking, play, when excited and scared, plus the random intervals when they need to go
Just keep doing what you are doing and you will see it getting better and better
With most breeds I would expect them to be pretty clean by 6 months - if you are consistant, although some breeds can take longer

Supervisor

04-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbelly
Are we being to forward in thinking he should be dry in the house after 4 weeks with us and at the age of 12 weeks. We are total newbies with regards to dog ownership
Hi FB puppies don't begin to get control of their bodily functions until the age of 16 weeks.

However,I rarely have any accidents at all when house training puppies because I watch them like a hawk and take them out very frequently to relieve themselves ( this is after sleep/food /play/excitement/about once an hour/when it sniffs the ground and circles. I have had just 2 accidents with Chloe now a year old ). Any accident that do occur are down to me not being vigilant.

I also teach my puppies to relieve themselves on command.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Norwegian Elkhound
04-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #8

Puppies get control of their rectum by about 4 months the bladder can take a lot longer sometimes they are not reliable until well after 6 months. The trick is to train yourself to get them outside before they are forced to go by their inadequate bladder.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Alaskan Malamute Can Eskimo
04-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #9

After having five pupsters over the last 3 years,they are all definately different.My latest addition who is 12 weeks is now asking to go out by jumping up at me and then jumping at the door,which she can now open her self,something only my 3 year old Malamute can do.We have had no accidents in the house for 1 week,but she can need to go out about at times 3 or 4 times in 1/2 hour especially when she has been running around.She will go to be a around 11pm,and call me at 7am ish(5.30am today groan!!!).
However one of my girl ie Mals would have an odd accident at 5 months.
So persevere and lots of trips,watching the signs foe needing to go out.
One of the best bits of advise was given to me by I think Muddiwarx,if your dog wees indoors,take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself on the head.
Good luck,it will come with time.

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: 2 Border Collies & a Bitsa
04-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #10

They are definitely all different, Willow was completely clean very early but Skye was 9 months before she was totally clean

Jann