Anistel

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Beagles
07-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #1

Dog Limping - Front Leg

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Jack Russell Terrier
07-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #2

Re: Dog Limping - Front Leg

Hi scarter, I think like you say it sounds like a strain, that would fit in with the symptoms.
When Mo was like this we rested her with just lead walks for a few days.
I'm no expert, I guess you will just have to see how she goes. Hope she will be ok.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Pointer, 1 Staffies
07-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

She may have bruised a pad, the ground is like iron with the frost. Have you checked between the toes for stones or thorns?

If it were me I would not walk her tomorrow, just take her in the garden on a lead to empty, give her a day's rest and see how it went.

Bruises are often more sore a few hours after exercise but heal quickly. Soft tissue injury is hard to do much about and doesn't show up on x-rays, so IMO, if you have checked its nothing serious rest is the best thing.

Hope she is ok soon, its horrible to see them limping but I always liken it to kids in a playground, you are going to get a few non-serious but painful bumps and scrapes from time to time.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: one gsd
07-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #4

I had this with Georgie for weeks on end, and I got 5 different diagnosis with 5 different vets at my surgery spanning about a month. I even came away with a bottle of Malaseb shampoo at one consultation because she thought he might have an infection between his toes Good luck at the vets if you have to take her coz no matter how much they manipulated Georgie's leg he couldn't make him go "ouch"! Hopefully it's just a strain, but can I ask, has she turned lethargic at all, and laying down a lot when you're out???? I won't tell you why I'm asking if this isn't the case though!

Dogsey Senior

07-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I can't find anything wrong with her paw, but I'll try again later.

Helena, no she's 100% fine in every way apart from the little limp.

It's been very cold and frosty here the last few days. Yesterday we were out in the park for about 2 hours (which is well within her capablities as she's very fit). We stood about in the middle of a big meadow for about 1.5 hours while she ran off-lead with other dogs. There's a steep hill and she was racing up and down it chasing after a couple of pointers - really pushing herself hard. I did think at the time that she was really giving herself a hard workout.

Todays off-lead romp was shorter and a bit less vigorous, but she still had a good hard run.

It fits that she's worked hard and her muscles are in recovery. It's happened to me before - you do all that hard training and then tweak something getting out of bed!

I've decided to keep her in the puppy's playpen with lots of chews for 24 hours just to give it a chance to recover and heal. If I let her roam free she'll be running up and down stairs, jumping on furniture and fighting with the pup!

I'll give her shoulder and legs a nice massage later and have another feel about at her paw - just in case there's something in it that I've missed. She's completely happy and showing no signs of discomfort - her tail is wagging away constantly.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Pointer, 1 Staffies
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #6

Hopefully she has just overdone it chasing those crazy Pointers

Good rest and a massage, now that sounds great!

Hope she is ok tomorrow x

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Norwegian Elkhound
07-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #7

Don't think I would be too worried about this, reckon in a couple of days he will be fine but if not may be a trip to the vets would be in order.

Dogsey Senior

08-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Rest and massage has done the trick - the limp has gone this morning.

And the photos of the lovely pointers that gave her the tough workout....

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 4 Rottweilers
08-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #9

glad she is ok now, I had a similar thing with kaos last week, I did put a thread up, as kaos is a larger breed I did take him to the vet the next morning, which I wish I hant bothered to do now, Im 130 down, which I really didnt need to be, I think hes hurt his foot when kicking up mud after a poo... I think hes just hurt his toe a bit on the hard ground.

Dogsey Veteran

08-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #10

Glad to hear your Beagle's paw is ok.

It's been really icy here over the weekend and my staffy has grazed her paw running around on the hard earth. We thought at first she'd pulled her claw, but it was a graze next to the claw.

All the ice has gone now and it's raining so hopefully all our dog's paws will be ok