Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 09:54 PM

Do you cut your dog`s claws?

A couple of mine have quite long dew claws - I was wondering about buying nail-clippers to do them and also the claws of the oldest who doesn`t get out much any more, but I`m a bit worried about cutting too short. Any tips please - type of clippers, how short to cut? Thanks!
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 10:15 PM
My sister who's a dog groomer, gave me all the kit to groom my own dogs - amongst it all was some nail clippers I haven't had the courage to use them yet, in fact last week whilst at the vets I asked if she would look at his dew claws for me as I was a bit concerned, she did them for me! Result!

One of these days I'll pluck up the courage Not much help am I Will be watching this thread with interest!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I do Lola's but not Cruisers as he runs about daft 24/7!

I usually just shave tiny wee slivers off at a time..just in case..
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Skye hates having his done and they are quite long. They dont curl so are ok although you do get that tippy tappy noise if he's walking on the pavement.

Fingal's are like little stumpy claws so we don't bother plus he has no dew claws.

Breagh's I think won't need doing either.

We have the nail clippers (side nips) with the metal plate behind them to prevent the claw being cut to short.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I do Loki's when they need it but it isn't often at all because he wears them down on walks.

I just use general clippers but I don't file because he hates it. I just make sure that I don't cut the quick.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I have to cut Jamie's dew claws and wait til he is asleep!! Tried Remy's and she hates it, so will be taking her to vets for trim... Deacon's are short anyway... Use guillotine type cutters, but need to buy new ones
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a set of guillotine type cutters, I cut Hamish's dew claw a couple of times with no probs but last time I cut the quick and he ran about the whole house dabbing blood everywhere and wouldn't stay still to let me stop it... think i'll leave it to the vets from now on!! Although if you are thinking of doing it yourself I think the guillotine clippers are prob best

Deedee x
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 11:41 PM
i used to do mine. id tell him i was going to cut his nails and after a while he knew what i meant! jsut do the tips & do them quick! and never go behond the white bit!!!

after each paw he got a treat and a big trreat at the end, after a while he gave me his paw, and held it up for me to do it!

was so sweet
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2008, 08:05 AM
I cut my Cavs and my mums Yorkies dew claws (my bichon gets groomed every 8 weeks so they do hers) If the nail is clear its very easy as you can see where the blood supply stops and cut just below that, but if the nail is black (llike my mums Yorkie) then i just go a little bit at a time and do it regularly. I use a guiilotine type as well as the other ones i had tended not to cut as clean.

If your dog hasnt had this done regularly be prepared for some serious resistance. Not something they like to have done so you need to be quick (and of course steady)
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I cut my dog's nails for the first time a few weeks ago. (Always been too scared to do it myself before). I used guillotine clippers and had to press so hard that when they finally cut the nail, I caught my hand and got a blood blister. In future I'm going to get someone else to do it - simply because I feel nervous doing it myself and I think that alone makes it a negative experience for the dog.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »