Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collies
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #1

lump in scrotum

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Norwegian Elkhound
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #2

Re: lump in scrotum

Any unexplained lump should be checked as soon as it is found, were he intact I would say it probably was a tumour and not to worry as very few are malignant however as he is castrated it could be anything from a hernia to a tumour or anything in between, but if it has appeared and the vet is unaware it should be checked.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 3 Border Collies, 1 JRT
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #3

I agree with Pita..........best the vets checks it.....then you can be sure. xxxx Good luck

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collies
11-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #4

thanks guys, I agree with all you have said. But I am trying to calm a 78 year old widow, who's life is Sandy her dog. I will tell her what you have said and maybe it will put her mind at rest. Her son took Sandy to the Vet but when anything like this happens I dont get the full story because she doesn't hear all what is said and I only get an abridged version. Sandy is due to go back to the vet next wed and I guess thats for a biopsy!

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: bordercollies
11-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #5

i know of a friend of mine ,she did take her male dog , to the vets ,with a lump ,same place , her dog was not castrated ,he had lump ,she didnt say it was ,that big though .the vet said it was some kind cyst.
i would not risk it straight to the vets i rekon .

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Norwegian Elkhound
11-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #6

I understand how frightened your Aunt must be but leaving it or ignoring it will not make it go away. Even if it were the worst possible thing she can think of the chances are it can be dealt with and no problems, so she must get it sorted just in case it needs sorting quickly as would a hernia or a tumour. But it could just be fat or a cyst so tell her not to jump to conclusions till the vet has investigated.

New Member!

Dogs owned: pedigree
hazlitt is Male
13-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #7

Hi
My dog Jake has exactly the same problem, being a castrated dog with a golfball lump where his scrotum would be. Ive got him booked into the vet next week and have to wait until then. Could you give me a follow up on your aunt's rescue dog? What was the outcome?

Thanks
Chris.

New Member!

Dogs owned: pedigree
hazlitt is Male
22-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #8

Hi. Replying as a followup to my own question in case anyone else has the same problem and Googles this page...

I had the golfball sized lump removed from his scrotum and examined. The results came back as a "Spindle Cell Tumor" which is harmlesss! (thank goodness!) It does have a tendancy to come back and regrow in the same place but it is not milignant and doesnt spread throughout the body. The vet suggested it grew from the nerve cell wall from when he was castrated about ten years ago.

Currently he's got some nasty looking stiches between his legs and he's wearing the lampshade around his head to prevent him picking at the wound. I'm very glad to have him back!