Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Stumpy just come into season (we think)

We got Stumpy on 1st Feb and she had been in the shelter for 3 months before that. They couldn't tell whether she was spayed and I had my doubts - no sign of a scar and from what we've seen of the way she was treated, I couldn't imagine her previous owners taking her for the op.

Having been on the look out for symptons up until about the beginning of May, I must confess to having half forgotten about it having convinced myself she must have been done after all.

Anyway, today we've had a few spots of blood around the house and having used a piece of kitchen towel on her behind, it is coming from her.

So, this is the first in season bitch I've ever had.

Would just like to know please - how long is it likely to last and particularly how long before she is 'safe' to go out again?

(the thought of Stumpy turning into a flirt is very amusing as she is such a scaredy cat of other dogs, but no, I won't be taking that risk!)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 04:51 PM
It's so long since I had an in-season bitch, I can't actually remember how long it lasts - isn't that awful? All my bitches are spayed usually a couple of months after I get them, sorry.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Aaaw poor Stumpy, is she all restless wandery. Mo wanders around and won't eat when she is in season.
I think the length of duration varies considerably, Mo was like it for about 4 wks this time, I was getting quite concerned about her.
I'm not sure of the exact time span, someone else will tell you when they are most at risk of pregnancy, but I was told once her swollen bits had gone down then she was safe to go out again. I know not all bitches do swell, so it can be difficult.
Good luck
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
We got Stumpy on 1st Feb and she had been in the shelter for 3 months before that. They couldn't tell whether she was spayed and I had my doubts - no sign of a scar and from what we've seen of the way she was treated, I couldn't imagine her previous owners taking her for the op.

Having been on the look out for symptons up until about the beginning of May, I must confess to having half forgotten about it having convinced myself she must have been done after all.

Anyway, today we've had a few spots of blood around the house and having used a piece of kitchen towel on her behind, it is coming from her.

So, this is the first in season bitch I've ever had.

Would just like to know please - how long is it likely to last and particularly how long before she is 'safe' to go out again?

(the thought of Stumpy turning into a flirt is very amusing as she is such a scaredy cat of other dogs, but no, I won't be taking that risk!)
Hi Fiona

Bitches do vary and I think from breed to breed it varies too. If it helps I always keep my bitches away from the boys for a further 4 weeks from when they have first started to bleed, and then they only mix again once she has had a bath and provided that she is not "playing up" to them. I may be over doing it a bit but better safe than sorry, if she were mine I wouldn't take her out for the full 4 weeks, just incase xx
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Fiona

Bitches do vary and I think from breed to breed it varies too. If it helps I always keep my bitches away from the boys for a further 4 weeks from when they have first started to bleed, and then they only mix again once she has had a bath and provided that she is not "playing up" to them. I may be over doing it a bit but better safe than sorry, if she were mine I wouldn't take her out for the full 4 weeks, just incase xx
Agree with the above.

Ruby is now beginning her 3rd week and shes being a right tart and sending D nuts!!!! Will be keeping them apart for for another 2 weeks, which makes 4 in all.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Well at least you have them confined together When one of my bitches (unspayed) was in season, I used to keep her in for 4 weeks.
Poor you Hun.....looks like a lot of hide and seek games going on then
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
It's so long since I had an in-season bitch, I can't actually remember how long it lasts - isn't that awful? All my bitches are spayed usually a couple of months after I get them, sorry.
Thanks Vicki - I know what you mean - Hoki was our first bitch and she was already spayed, so this is all knew to us

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Aaaw poor Stumpy, is she all restless wandery. Mo wanders around and won't eat when she is in season.
I think the length of duration varies considerably, Mo was like it for about 4 wks this time, I was getting quite concerned about her.
I'm not sure of the exact time span, someone else will tell you when they are most at risk of pregnancy, but I was told once her swollen bits had gone down then she was safe to go out again. I know not all bitches do swell, so it can be difficult.
Good luck
Thanks Nippy. Stumpy seems very different to Mo (but then we think this is her first day, so don't know how she will get on) but she seems to have more of an appetite than normal!

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Fiona

Thanks Sheree. 4 weeks! Poor OH is going to have his work cut out with 2 girls that can't get proper exercise - what with Hoki's op and now Stumpy

Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Agree with the above.

Ruby is now beginning her 3rd week and shes being a right tart and sending D nuts!!!! Will be keeping them apart for for another 2 weeks, which makes 4 in all.

Thanks VV.

Have just told OH 4 weeks - his reaction was 'What!!!'

Always thought it didn't matter that we didn't have a huge garden, but think we might regret that now
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Well at least you have them confined together When one of my bitches (unspayed) was in season, I used to keep her in for 4 weeks.
Poor you Hun.....looks like a lot of hide and seek games going on then
Thanks YS. At least she'll be finished by August, otherwise you wouldn't have got to meet either of them.

Any other general advice please - other than keeping her safe from males, she doesn't need any other special treatment does she?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Yep! I would say 3 weeks to be safe, it is ok to take her out on a lead for the first week if you can drive to somewhere with a low dog population but after that safer to play with her in the garden and invent new games and training. I used to like the seasons because you put the effort in and my bitches always came out the other end with a new skill or training accomplishment and she and I with a deeper understanding.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I always keep mine onlead for 4 weeks from the day they first start bleeding.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >