Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #1

Raw Marrow Bones

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Dalmatians
08-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Re: Raw Marrow Bones

Deccy ignores marrow bones but Diva loves to gnaw one, she has a fresh one every week, I keep an eye on things and remove any pieces that come away. The butcher gives me a whole shin cut into three so if I want to be sure about her not chewing small pieces off, I give her the middle section which is straight - has more marrow in it, too!

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Great Dane/Rhodesian Ridgeback
08-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #3

Due to the dog's digestive system, they can digest a knuckle without it being chewed. I wouldn't worry... Give her a raw bone for her birthday... Raw bones ARE the best thing you can give a dog, who likes to chew..

Happy birthday, Shady!

Cheers
Lene

Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

I wouldn't recommend marrow bones especially from cows because they are too hard. In raw feeding circles they are known as 'wreck' bones because they can wreck the teeth by wearing them down.

Almost a Veteran

Dogs owned: Newfie & Chow X Rottie
08-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #5

My Rottie X can consume an entire raw knuckle bone in very little time at all. He had a section of cow ribs the other day and managed to eat the lot of those too The cow leg bones are a bit more of a challenge...he just tends to poke the marrow out and leave the rest.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: English Springer + Wire Vizsla
12-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah27
I wouldn't recommend marrow bones especially from cows because they are too hard. In raw feeding circles they are known as 'wreck' bones because they can wreck the teeth by wearing them down.
And I thought they were called rec bones cos they were for recreational purposes only?!

Banned / Account Closed

Dogs owned: 5 Black and Tan Dobes + 1 Rott
Colin is Male
12-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #7

My lot all get marrow bones and can consume them in next to no time.

Dogsey Veteran

12-06-2008, 01:02 AM   #8

How big are the bits that come away? So long as they arn't big enough to cause a blockage the pieces should digest ok - under supervision everything should be ok. I prefer both knuckles to be intact if I do give them these as I think with the ends sawn off they are more dangerous to the teeth.

Dogsey Veteran

12-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
And I thought they were called rec bones cos they were for recreational purposes only?!
Yeah that was the original name, but they changed it to 'wreck' bone because they wear the teeth down when eaten regularly as part of a raw prey model diet

Dogsey Senior

IanIOW is Male
12-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #10

This is something i posted on a forum several years ago regards recreational bones....

I have been feeding my dogs a raw diet for a long time now and they both do really well on it. I also give them recreational raw knuckle bones. After giving Bandit a large knuckle bone on saturday he started to have problems on sunday morning. Bearing in mind that Bandit is a greedy dog that will catch and eat whole rabbits, chicken carcass and the like so subsequently he gets most things in his diet minced or he just inhales them. The exemption to the rule is large knuckle bones which with such a powerful jaw he grinds away at them and they keep him occupied for hours. Unfortunately he seemed to have a blockage and could not pass it out. His stomach had gone into spasm where he was trying to pass the blockage out. I rushed him too the vets where he was looked at and then an x-ray taken. This was done under general anesthetic and showed a very large blockage that had formed a tight bung made up of bone that he could not pass.Fortunately this was removed from his rear end without the need for surgury and cutting him open. This is something i would never have expected to happen and may be a freak accident but needless to say i won't be giving him large weight bearing beef bones to chew on again as it seems that they are too hard for the digestive system to break down. I pick him up at 4.30pm today and have been told that he is now ok [apart from a sore bum].This could have turned out a lot worse for Bandit than it has so really the moral of the story is just watch your dogs if you give them large recreational bones.....Cheers...Ian...