Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collie X,Cocker spaniel
15-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #1

Are dogs left or right handed (pawed)

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Alaskan Malamutes
15-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #2

Re: Are dogs left or right handed (pawed)

Not sure about mine, as they both been taught to give either paw and they do randomly !

It's the same with horses, but not because they favour, but they are easier on one side than the other, more flexible, and I think it's the same with dogs and us, we have one side stronger than the other, the same as women carrying handbags on one shoulder religously !

I'll test them later and see what happens

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collies
15-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #3

interesting

I remember watching Kip once trying to open a door (pull it towards him) but he was trying to use the wrong paw so wasn't having much luck...trouble is, I can't remember which paw he was using.

Hoki always used to give only her right paw when asked, but I think that was more to do with the way she always sits with her weight on her left side, making it more difficult to lift that paw up.

Otherwise, I've never noticed them favouring one paw more than the other.

Almost a Veteran

Dogs owned: BC, GSD, Greyhound
I-mac77 is Male
15-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #4

I've noticed in agility, that some dogs seem to favour one direction or the other. Some can carry out tasks easier on one side over the other. It will be fascinating to seewhat other have to say on this thread.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: GSD
15-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #5

Zak I think is left pawed as he always uses that paw to tap on the door to be let in or if you say give me a paw its always his left....

Dogsey Veteran

15-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #6

Just been watching Fudge and I would say right handed.This is the foot she gives first on the paw command. She will give left too but that is after "other paw", she learned that later.This could however be as that was the foot we tapped when we were teaching the command? I will watch further to see if she shows dominance in other areas.

Dogsey Veteran

15-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #7

I was always told to get your dog to run in a straight line and see which leg it leads with. That and watch which paw it favours in situations.
My dog is left pawed which follows theory.
My bitch is left pawed which doesn't follow theory but then I always knew she was special.
You will find with some dogs that do things like agility and train to both sides that they don't particularly seem to favour but I think that is more down to balance and the dog working to all directions and balance.

Dogsey Veteran

15-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgeley
Just been watching Fudge and I would say right handed.This is the foot she gives first on the paw command. She will give left too but that is after "other paw", she learned that later.This could however be as that was the foot we tapped when we were teaching the command? I will watch further to see if she shows dominance in other areas.
That's probably the case. We all tend to teach paw or instigate training with our right hands therefore towards the dogs left if facing it.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: one gsd
15-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #9

One strange thing I noticed about both of my dogs when getting in the car. I always just opened the passenger side rear door and they'd jump in, but if ever I opened the door on the other side of the car, if I reversed on the drive or something, Cassie would just stand there and stare up at me as if to say "oh, I just can't jump in this side with that door on my left, I want it on the right"!!! I've now noticed that Georgie is exactly the same, he can't seem to cope. Back doors don't open fully like the fronts do they, so the gap is sort of narrower, and it does seem to matter which side the door is, if that all makes sense! Lol!

Dogsey Veteran

15-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #10

Just found this test for you all to do........

It's likely that your dog is either right- or left-handed. In the wild it makes sense to have a paw preference, because in emergencies, one side of the body will take the lead. Why left or right are dominant is open to debate, but in some species it has some amazing consequences.

What do I need?
A plastic or cardboard tube that is wide enough for your dog to reach into with its paw, but not with its head
A pet treat or toy

The walkthrough below describes the stages of the test:

Step 1: Put the treat near the end of the tube and hold the tube directly in front of your dog.

Step 2: Encourage your dog to get the treat.

Step 3: Do this twice more. If your dog isn't pawing for the treat, place the treat under a sofa, just within reach, and try it again. What does your dog do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results:
A - Dog uses left paw most of the time

B - Dog uses right paw most of the time

C - Difficult to tell

If option A - Your dog appears to be left-handed. Left-handedness in humans is often associated with creativity and a natural musical ability. Maybe your dog has hidden talents as well!

If option B - Your dog appears to be right-handed. Right-handedness in humans is often associated with language ability and a logical mind. There is some evidence that right-handed animals can be better at remembering and using words, so maybe your dog understands more of your conversation than you had thought!

If option C - It could be that your dog has no preference; in other words, it could be ambidextrous. In some animals this has been shown to be unhelpful. It's often good to have a dominant hand to lead the way.