Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

30-08-2007, 03:51 AM   #1

buying a dog from abroad?

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: English Setters
30-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #2

Re: buying a dog from abroad?

Hopefully Becky (Mahooli) will be along soon, I'm sure she'll be able to help you.

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Huskies, Shiba, Leonberger
MickB is Male
30-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #3

We have imported several dogs from Europe (France, Italy, Hungary and Romania) and it is quite straightforward - if a little complex. You can check out all the details on the Defra website - http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm

You are very much in the hands of your breeder however as it is they who need to make sure that all the paperwork from their end is 100% correct (The French customs are notoriously finickity and will check things down to the last full-stop and comma) . Our latest import had to spend four months in quarantine due to a slight mistake on the paperwork by our breeder. So what should have been straightforward turned into an expensive nightmare.
Good luck if you decide to import.

Mick

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Posse of Poodles!!
30-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #4

I'm importing 3 dogs and the simplest way is to contact Karen at http://www.importingapup.info/ as she does everything for you. That's where Cooper is. Parker is with his breeder as that was the agreement but hoping once I go through it with Cooper I should be able to avoid the mistakes if any!
Karen will even arrange collecting your puppy from where ever for you!
It aint cheap though lol!
Becky

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BCs, CKCS,
30-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyBlue
hiya, can anyone offer me any info on this please, if i wanted to buy a dog from abroad, what would i have to do, E.G. to bring it in the country, ive just spent hours reading and it has seemed to have fallen out the other side of my brain as its so late!!

thanks!

p.s. not saying i AM going to do this, just interrested!

Would it be an adult or a puppy ? If an adult & in a country that is within the Pet Travel Scheme, it is basically simple, it will need a full Pet Passport(microchip, rabies vax, positive rabies titre test, tick & flea treatment (within 48 hours of coming to the UK)that is valid(ie six months have elapsed since the rabies titre test date). A friend of mine has brought in a good few GSDs from The Netherlands, Germany & Belgium & has taken his dogs abroad on a very regular basis(he does schutzhund on the Continent)

A puppy needs the same, but cannot have the Rabies vax until it is 12 weeks so will be 10 months old before it can come to the UK

Dogsey Veteran

30-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #6

ok excellent thank you very much! i shall get reading up on them links now!

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BCs, CKCS,
30-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #7

I'm planning to bring in a German Schutzhund bred GSD in a few years time when I hope the Pet Passport qualifying time will be reduced so he can come in earlier as 10 months a bit old to bring in a GSD puppy

Dogsey Veteran

31-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
I'm planning to bring in a German Schutzhund bred GSD in a few years time when I hope the Pet Passport qualifying time will be reduced so he can come in earlier as 10 months a bit old to bring in a GSD puppy
hiya thanks, no i totally agree 10 months is too much for me too!

thanks though!!