Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Lump On Lip - What Do You Think? (pics)

Hi guys, just wanted some opinions or advice on this really.

I noticed this morning when I was playing with Max that he has this small red lump on his lip. It doesn't appear to be bothering him at the moment, that is I haven't seen him scratching and he shows no sign of pain on examination.

Just wondered what you guys thought really, I have been gently bathing with salt water to see if this helps at all. He is actually coming to work with me on Saturday anyway so I will get it looked at then regardless

Sorry the pics aren't of great quality, the light was a bit bad and wriggly dog will try to get some better ones tomorrow for you to see.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	3853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	2354
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	3854  
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
It could be a sting or bite, but then I think he would have a problem with letting you look at it, and you say that he isn't bothered about it.

I don't want to worry you but I would take mine to the vet sooner rather than later purely because I am a worry guts, and also because I know of two people in the last month that have lost setters due to mouth cancer. I'm not saying that's what it is or could be, just that I would err on the side of caution.

I hope that it gets sorted out, whatever it turns out to be
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
It could be a sting or bite, but then I think he would have a problem with letting you look at it, and you say that he isn't bothered about it.

I don't want to worry you but I would take mine to the vet sooner rather than later purely because I am a worry guts, and also because I know of two people in the last month that have lost setters due to mouth cancer. I'm not saying that's what it is or could be, just that I would err on the side of caution.

I hope that it gets sorted out, whatever it turns out to be
Thanks hun he was very wriggly when I was trying to examine his mouth - but then he always is. He doesn't like people playing with his mouth too much but it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

I will mention it to my vet tomorrow at work and show her the photos - see what she thinks if she is happy to leave until Saturday then I will but otherwise I will get him in on Weds. The only reason I was going to leave until saturday is because that is our open day and he won't be staying a kennel, just out and about in the field he gets quite stressed when he is in for the day and stuck in his kennel so I shall see what vet says tomorrow

Thanks again Sheree for the advice, was starting to worry that I'd baffled everyone xxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 10:30 PM
No probs

I'm sure it's nothing and I do hope I didn't scare you. At least the vet will be able to tell you what she thinks it could be. Our old cocker spaniel once had a blocked salivary gland but that developed into a small lump on his bottom jaw, I don't suppose they have anything like that on their top lips.

Even if it is a small mass it doesn't always mean anything. The tumour Tyler had removed from his eyelid looked nasty and it wasn't anything to worry about, other than it rubbing on his eye if it got any bigger.

Fingers crossed and good vibes coming your way xx

Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Thanks hun he was very wriggly when I was trying to examine his mouth - but then he always is. He doesn't like people playing with his mouth too much but it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

I will mention it to my vet tomorrow at work and show her the photos - see what she thinks if she is happy to leave until Saturday then I will but otherwise I will get him in on Weds. The only reason I was going to leave until saturday is because that is our open day and he won't be staying a kennel, just out and about in the field he gets quite stressed when he is in for the day and stuck in his kennel so I shall see what vet says tomorrow

Thanks again Sheree for the advice, was starting to worry that I'd baffled everyone xxx
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2007, 10:42 PM
one of my dogs had one of those years ago, it looks the same, can't remember the veterinary name for it. the vet took it off with a cryogenic lance. I stood and watched the whole procedure (he allowed me into his inner sanctum). he applied the lance for about a minute, and it just came away. he gave my dog a local for it, because the lance can sting a bit. don't worry !
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
one of my dogs had one of those years ago, it looks the same, can't remember the veterinary name for it. the vet took it off with a cryogenic lance. I stood and watched the whole procedure (he allowed me into his inner sanctum). he applied the lance for about a minute, and it just came away. he gave my dog a local for it, because the lance can sting a bit. don't worry !
I've tried to find the proper name for it on the web, the term "histonoma" was in my mind when i saw it, can't find a thing (probably spelled it wrong).
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh sorry to hear about the wee lump. Perhaps it is a wee cyst? Sorry, really I can't be helpful but my best wishes to Max. Please put up how he is tomorrow

Big hugs and cuddles from me and doggy kisses from Loki to Max.

Take care.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Thanks Nero thats interesting I will see what my vet thinks today as to whether she needs to see him tomorrow.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
No probs

I'm sure it's nothing and I do hope I didn't scare you. At least the vet will be able to tell you what she thinks it could be. Our old cocker spaniel once had a blocked salivary gland but that developed into a small lump on his bottom jaw, I don't suppose they have anything like that on their top lips.

Even if it is a small mass it doesn't always mean anything. The tumour Tyler had removed from his eyelid looked nasty and it wasn't anything to worry about, other than it rubbing on his eye if it got any bigger.

Fingers crossed and good vibes coming your way xx
Sometimes things just look so much worse than they are don't they! I will let you know what my vet says today

Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
Oh sorry to hear about the wee lump. Perhaps it is a wee cyst? Sorry, really I can't be helpful but my best wishes to Max. Please put up how he is tomorrow

Big hugs and cuddles from me and doggy kisses from Loki to Max.

Take care.
I never thought about that Max says thanks to Loki for his doggy kisses!

No change in the lump this morning, will let you know how I get on today
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 08:46 AM
sorry cant help either haven experienced this sort of thing ,my boy had a sting on his lip that looks similiar , sorry not much help hunni .
big hugs to max xxdk
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Can't see much form the pic, but how old is he? Believe it or not I've now had a couple of pups who when they become teenage, get a few spots around their face...honestly I'm not joking!!!! Generally they are on their lower jaw but occassionally they are on their top lip as well!!!! They settled on their own.

Sure your vet will know today anyway!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >