Anistel

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: 4 Borzois
21-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #1

Feeding raw diet since 1984

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Whippet x & Saluki x
22-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #2

Re: Feeding raw diet since 1984

Thank you for posting this thread, it is full of info.
Do you feed bones of any sort other than the chicken legs?

Dogsey Senior

22-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #3

I do not. My dogs never had a chicken allergy but I know what to feed if they do.
Beef bones are too thick and turkey bones there is a chemical in turkeys ( natural) but it causes sleepyness. ( sorry I cant remember what it is but it begins with a T.. )
I started using chicken because when I started raw, we didnt have the internet - just people that fed it for advice. Then later I found out chicken bones and cartiledge reselmbes "shark cartiledge" which as you know- sharks do not get cancer etc and absorbs quickly into the body. That is why I feed chicken leg quarter..

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Utonagan
22-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #4

Very informative post there!

Do you mean tryptophan in turkey?

Dogsey Senior

22-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Very informative post there!

Do you mean tryptophan in turkey?
THANK YOU!!! Thats it!!! lol...

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 2 L/C GSD,2 Havanese, 1 Bichon
22-05-2007, 01:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom
I do not. My dogs never had a chicken allergy but I know what to feed if they do.
Beef bones are too thick and turkey bones there is a chemical in turkeys ( natural) but it causes sleepyness. ( sorry I cant remember what it is but it begins with a T.. )
I started using chicken because when I started raw, we didnt have the internet - just people that fed it for advice. Then later I found out chicken bones and cartiledge reselmbes "shark cartiledge" which as you know- sharks do not get cancer etc and absorbs quickly into the body. That is why I feed chicken leg quarter..
Some great stuff there - thank you
I don't know what the chemical is that you're referring to in turkey, but I do know that turkey skin can cause pancreatitis and is very dangerous to dogs that are susceptible to attacks.

I think while we are on the subject it may just be worth pointing out the dangers of feeding raw salmon (to those who may not be aware) as I see many people stating that they feed raw fish as a change to the raw meat.

Salmon Poisoning Disease can be a problem, through salmon being infected by rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It is carried through a parasite (a flatworm or fluke) called Nanophyteus salmincola in freshwater snails and salmonid fish. Infected snails are then ingested by salmon.

A dog that has ingested an infected salmon will have a sudden onset of symptoms 5-7 days later. Symptoms include lethargy and anorexia and the dog may have a temperature between 104-107 with persistent vomiting by the fourth day and bloody diarrhea. The symptoms may look similar to parvovirus. If left untreated, Salmon poisoning disease has a mortality rate of up to 90%.

This can of course be avoided by only feeding cooked salmon. (Sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought it important to mention)

Dogsey Senior

22-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #7

Salmonilla is almost unheard of in dogs. I know you know dogs would eat carrion etc if having the chance. They have a higher body temp than we do to kill bacteria and more antibiotics as well.
Raw fish is excelent- I frequently add tapoli etc to my dogs diet, but its a rarity more than regular. The problem with salmon is that its so rich in fish oil that it causes stomach upset. If I give salmon- its with out the skin for this reason as the rest of the diet is balenced already in fat.. The other problem with some fish is although mackel is good for them, some bottom feeders have too much iron which can be a retained mineral if over fed. Rule of thumb here- if the fish has a thick skin- take it off. If scaled or filet- its fine..

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 2 L/C GSD,2 Havanese, 1 Bichon
22-05-2007, 02:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom
Salmonilla is almost unheard of in dogs. I know you know dogs would eat carrion etc if having the chance. They have a higher body temp than we do to kill bacteria and more antibiotics as well.
Raw fish is excelent- I frequently add tapoli etc to my dogs diet, but its a rarity more than regular. The problem with salmon is that its so rich in fish oil that it causes stomach upset. If I give salmon- its with out the skin for this reason as the rest of the diet is balenced already in fat.. The other problem with some fish is although mackel is good for them, some bottom feeders have too much iron which can be a retained mineral if over fed. Rule of thumb here- if the fish has a thick skin- take it off. If scaled or filet- its fine..
I'd agree raw fish is excellent ..I feed my youngsters raw and fish is included. I don't know what the instances of actual Salmon poisoning in dogs are but I still feel it's worth mention as quote "“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”

and quote "Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish."

Sarah Hoggan, Washington State University, Class of 2001.
for the full article please follow the link; http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/salmon.asp

I'm all for raw feeding done properly but people also need to be informed of any potential risks so as to make an informed choice.

Dogsey Senior

22-05-2007, 02:21 AM   #9

I believe it goes back to thickness of the skin in salmon and feeding bottom feeders with retainer minerals.
Example- going fishing my husband caught a large cat fish- thick in skin etc- but also retaining minerals- .. Although he was proud of " his catch" the dogs got none of it.. loll.. Much to their dismay..
Also-- venison has little fat and rich meat- I never found that to digest well either...

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Alaskan Malamutes
22-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #10

I have found that on the rare occasions that mine have had turkey they suffer from REALLY awful wind ...and believe me I mean nauseatingly dreadful, MUCH worse than usual ones. For this reason alone mine do NOT now get turkey

They do get lamb ribs when available though ...trotters and pigs ears and tails are also good

Thank you for a good post with lots of facts