Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: French bulldog & Staffy
11-04-2007, 11:23 PM   #1

Can dogs get growing pains?

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 2 GSDs, N.I x Ute, NI
11-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #2

Re: Can dogs get growing pains?

I've not heard of growing pains in dogs Sarah, but I guess it isn't impossible.

It could be that he may of pulled a ligament/muscle when he tore his dew claw. If that's the case, it'll take a while to heal fully.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: French bulldog & Staffy
11-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #3

Just checked on the thread i started about him ripping his dew claw and that was on the 6th of february. Would it still not be healed if its a muscle/ligament?

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 2 GSDs, N.I x Ute, NI
11-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1210
Just checked on the thread i started about him ripping his dew claw and that was on the 6th of february. Would it still not be healed if its a muscle/ligament?
I would of thought so if it was that long ago.

Hopefully someone will be able to help a bit more Sara, but in the meantime, give that gorgeous boy a big hug from me anyway

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Great Danes
11-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #5

When you manipulate his leg does he whimper as if in pain? i'm sorry i dont know how old he is and i know pano affects our breed(intermitten limping or wandering lameness as its called ) i wouldnt have thought it would affect a bully tho..

A worry arent they... Have you tried to rest him for a few days and then see how he is on it?

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BCs, Lurcher, BC x JRT
12-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #6

Yes dogs can get growing pains, some breeds more than others, and some effects more serious than others - some resulting conditions may need surgery, some are not serious and resolve naturally with no lasting problems at all, just a bit of discomfort while its happening.

Some info for you [ dont panic and assume any problematic conditions definately apply to your doglet, the following is general reading to show some of the effects which sometimes occur in some dogs ]

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=466

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/bone.html

http://rdu.news14.com/content/Living...5469&SecID=287

http://www.artreality.com/portfolio/...owingpains.htm

http://www.emmathevet.co.uk/pettalk.asp?id=37

http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/lpano.htm

http://www.labbies.com/dysplasa.htm

Hope some of that helps explain things on a general level :smt001

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: GSD
12-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #7

I was wondering about pano,one of my shepherds had this & the vet described it as sort of growing pains. It wasn't always the same leg that he limped on though,it moved around all 4.The vet said if it continued after 18 months they would do tests but it stopped at about 16 months.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BCs, Lurcher, BC x JRT
12-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue
I was wondering about pano,one of my shepherds had this & the vet described it as sort of growing pains. It wasn't always the same leg that he limped on though,it moved around all 4.The vet said if it continued after 18 months they would do tests but it stopped at about 16 months.
That does sound very much like the description given in the first link, and the various sites do suggest that Alsatians are particularly prone to it.

This is from the first link, [ in case anyone wants a quick rference without plodding through all the links in one go ]

"What is panosteitis?
Panosteitis is a bone disease of dogs that is characterized by bone proliferation and remodeling. It is often painful and can last as long as 18 months, though more commonly it lasts from 2 to 5 months. It is characterized by lameness that often comes and goes and changes from leg to leg. It is a common problem in several large breeds and the cause is currently unknown. The treatment is symptomatic but the outcome is usually very good.

Who gets panosteitis?

Panosteitis is most common in large breed dogs between 6 and 18 months of age. Occasionally, middle-aged German Shepherds will have a bout of panosteitis. It affects dogs worldwide and has been recognized and studied since the 1950's. Male dogs are much more likely to get panosteitis then females. There is a higher incidence in several breeds including German Shepherds, Great Danes, Doberman Pinschers, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Rottweilers, and Basset Hounds."

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Great Danes
12-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #9

But we are talking a smaller breed than gsds and danes i wouldnt think they would have the major growth spurts as our breeds do to envisage growing pains....

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: GSD
12-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJ
But we are talking a smaller breed than gsds and danes i wouldnt think they would have the major growth spurts as our breeds do to envisage growing pains....
True but basset hounds are on the list & it does say other breeds may be affected.