Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Dobermann
11-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #1

How long does it take to heal a spaying operation?

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Stafford x Lab
Stamford is Male
11-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #2

Re: How long does it take to heal a spaying operation?

Going Home

We are as flexible as we can be, regarding sending your pet home and we do not have to discharge animals prematurely as we have ample comfortable accommodation for them. When you collect your pet we shall give you full verbal, practical and written instructions on post operative care.
Care of surgical wounds

Wounds do not normally require any attention except for you preventing your pet licking excessively at the wound, or removing the stitches. We have both anti lick products and plastic Elizabethan collars (like lampshades) for sale, to help you. We have to make a charge for re suturing wounds, often involving another anaesthetic, if stitches have been lost as a result of a lack of supervision.
Stitches out

We normally remove stitches after ten days. Bitches who have been spayed should not exercise strenuously until four weeks after their operation to give time for their internal tissue to become strong again

Natalie i got this off of my vets website if its any help at all.Only ever owning male dogs,im not sure.I have just had Ossie castrated Monday and whilst being obviously a different operation,we were told he would be fine in 10 days.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Posse of Poodles!!
11-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #3

It's upto the individual dog. One of my bitches moaned and cried and screamed for the first 12 hours at home, the next day she was down a rabbit hole!
Just make sure the wound doesn't look inflamed and is clean, and of course your dog doesnt worry it. A few days will probably be all you need to take off.
Hope she's fine with it all.
Becky

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collies
11-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #4

When I had my girl done. I booked her in on the Friday, picked her up around 4pm. She was out of it Friday night and very tired most of Saturday, then Sunday back to normal. She just settled in the bed.
I went back to work on Monday.

Now my situation was I did have a 10 week old puppy so I did keep him in the kitchen and restrict her to the lounge and the conservatory.

After about 5 days I started on short walks with her, but did give it four weeks before she was allowed for a mad one and I did allow 2 months before she returned to agiltiy, just to be on the safe side.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Border Collie X,Cocker spaniel
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #5

Fudge was ok after a couple of days. We had to lead walk her for quite a while afterwards though.

Almost a Veteran

Dogs owned: 16 hounds!!
11-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #6

Hiya Natalie,
My CKCS was fine after about 3 days. She was very dopey the night of the op, and very quiet the following day, but the day after that she was back to her normal self

Just be with her for at least the vital 48hrs following the op I'd say, and keep a close eye on the wound, other than that she should be fine.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Labrador & Northern Inuit x2
11-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #7

My girl has just been spayed and to be honest it's been a nightmare but im not going into that.

I believe its normally the stitches are in for 10 days. My vet said that during those 10 days no running up and down stairs, no jumping on chairs or sofa, no playing with other dogs, no licking stitches and no walkies. (the dog not me lol)

I would also suggest that she wears a T-shirt that is banded at the back to take up the slack. It keeps her wound clean from any dirt, stop her from accidently catching the stitches while scratching and can also make it harder to lick.

I really hope everything goes well for your girlie. Give her lots of love she'll feel very sorry for herself! x

Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #8

You did make sure she was clear/carrier of VWD didnt you? Major risk otherwise, i think you have and my mind is gone again! Best of luck, Im sure she will be fine and storming round in no time.
dawn.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Dobermann
12-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #9

Hi Dawn, Her parents were both clear but we havn't had her tested I will ask the vets to do a quick test before doing the op. However she has been bitten by the other dog and stopped bleeding very quickly. I dont think theres too much of a worry.

OMG I never thought about it, but could she catch diseases off that other dog that bit her?!?!

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 1 N.I 1 EBT. 1 Rottie
12-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #10

I remember it took my GS about 10 days to be going around as normal, she was 10 when she was done but still seemed to heal pretty quick, my Shar Pei was a great actress when it was first done and we put some steps up to the couch and things for her again healed really quick.