Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Almost a Veteran

08-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #1

Do any of you use the "springer" device?

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: OESxDEERHOUND/ESS/POINTERxLAB
Phil is Male
08-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #2

Re: Do any of you use the "springer" device?

If it's what i'm thinking of (a pole type thing that attaches to your seat post and pokes out sideyways for you to join the lead to) I saw one the other day - I thought it looked a bit dangerous - more for the rider than the dog !

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Alaskan Malamute
08-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #3

some people i know use them with their Mals. I believe they are quite good.. Not got one myself though, for obvious reasons!!

Almost a Veteran

08-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinners85
If it's what i'm thinking of (a pole type thing that attaches to your seat post and pokes out sideyways for you to join the lead to) I saw one the other day - I thought it looked a bit dangerous - more for the rider than the dog !

hmm thats what i worry about. I do have a very strong dog and although they say that the "spring" absorbs the dogs jerks and pulls he is very dog-orrientated (sp). I worry that if he decides that HE IS going to say hello he will run off bike attached and perhaps injure the dog, the owner, himself, never mind me! lol

Im still trying to stay open minded though.....

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: siberian huskies
08-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #5

Hi dalmonda , i use a springer device to exercise my young siberian husky bitch mishka, its great i think, if mishka sees something she wants to get at a sharp ''NO LEAVE IT'' FROM ME WORKS , but thats the training i have given her, & if she tries to pull to try & sniff something i can hardly feel her tugs as the springers big spring takes much of the pulls & tugs. I run her with a tracking harness with fleece padding around the front area of the harness, but dalmonda these are great things i think, but it is advised to run dogs with a tracking harness instead of a collar & lead.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Alaskan Malamute
08-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #6

http://www.springer-uk.com/

Almost a Veteran

08-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegallagher
Hi dalmonda , i use a springer device to exercise my young siberian husky bitch mishka, its great i think, if mishka sees something she wants to get at a sharp ''NO LEAVE IT'' FROM ME WORKS , but thats the training i have given her, & if she tries to pull to try & sniff something i can hardly feel her tugs as the springers big spring takes much of the pulls & tugs. I run her with a tracking harness with fleece padding around the front area of the harness, but dalmonda these are great things i think, but it is advised to run dogs with a tracking harness instead of a collar & lead.
Brilliant! Diz is quite good at "leave it" just not sure if he will respond at speed! lol (usually when he sees a dog he stops and walks toward the other dog...at this point i would give the command depending on the individual situation).

Yes I agree a harness is a must.

Thank you all for adding to this thread - Keep them coming I need as much info as poss!!!

Kanikula thank you for the link

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: BCs, Lurcher, BC x JRT
08-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #8

I have tried one out with one of my dogs, [ one already fitteed on someone else`s bike ], just to see what it was like.
I was amazed at how safe it was as it goes. The owner of the one I tried out uses it with his Collies.
I know another couple who use them regularly with a Collie and two Beardies, very bouncy Beardies they are too, but they have`nt made the bike veer or pull or anything like that.
All the above springer users have them on solid mountain bikes, I don`t know what the stability is like on others like lightweight racers etc ??

As has been mentioned, if you do get one, the safest for dog and bike rider, and the most comfortable for the dog, is with doglet in a good harness.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Dalmatians
08-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #9

I have one, and apart from being unseated once when my then male Dalmatian Max took an unexpected and sudden urge to pee up a lamp post, it was fine. BUT don't use the safety cord - it snaps too easily and I lost Polo one day in the middle of the village when he was frightened and bolted. It took me an hour to find him, he had run home crossing three busy roads
Also, I was warned by a well know Dally person that if you are not careful, the dog can end up "crabbing" if you show it's a major problem, even if not, make some arrangement so that he runs straight not "head in" or he may end up with uneven muscles, a crick in his neck or worse!
It's absolutely true that the "Spring" takes away any jerks from the dog, it's very impressive.