Anistel

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Border Terrier & XBreed
06-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #1

Lump left after tick removal.

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: GSDs & BC
06-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #2

Re: Lump left after tick removal.

I would just keep an eye on it but not go to the vet. My dogs often get ticks and they generally leave a small lump after they have been removed but I just pop a bit of antiseptic powder on and they eventually disappear.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: English Setters
06-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #3

Hi Joanne, I agree with Moobli, although it has been some time since I've seen ticks on mine, (thanks to Frontline), I do recall that there is always a lump left for a while. I did have one that went a bit weepy after a while and popped to the vet. They didn't treat it but said that I had probably left a bit of the tick in him. They suggested I bathe it with salt water and dust with antiseptic powder, it soon dried up after that. Hope this helps.

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Border Terrier & XBreed
06-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #4

Thanks guys!

Just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything out of the ordinary. I will keep an eye on it though.

Thanks again

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Staffy x
06-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #5

Hi,

Ben contracted a tick after his wee holiday to kintyre, I removed it and like you after close inspection saw that all the head etc were out, but he had a lump left, as he was going back to the vets about his kidneys I got vet to check it, and he looked very closely with a magnifying glass thing and said "no you definitely goyt it all out, it's normal for the skin to remain raised and it will go down of its own accord, nothing to worry about"

So nothing to worry about

Almost a Veteran

Dogs owned: golden retriever
06-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #6

Despite using Frontline Harley has had six ticks on him this year. After removal they all left a small bump behind which took up to two weeks to disappear completely so would assume that a bump is always left behind for a short while.

Sadly Missed

Dogs owned: Springer
06-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #7

Living in a "Tick rich" area I have been taking them off our dogs for years. I always use surgical spirit on the tick before I remove it and then swab with surgical spirit after.
Sometimes it has left a swelling, sometimes not. I think that it may depend on how long the tick has been attached, and how deeply it has bitten its way in. I have never had one go septic, Kath.