Anistel

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Yorkshire Terriers
14-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #1

Clipping my Yorkie (fear of clippers)

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Global Moderator

14-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #2

Re: Clipping my Yorkie (fear of clippers)

Hi Nicky welcome to Dogsey...Has someone hurt or scared your little dog, was she given chance to see and get used to the clippers as a puppy? I always start puppies off when very tiny so they get used to trimming tools.

I can only suggest you try desensitising your little dog.
Let her have a good look at the clippers, put them on the floor so she gets used to seeing them around and learns they ain't a threat, give her lots of praise and a special treat (a bit of meat or cheese) when she sniffs them .
If she is not too scared make a noise with the tools but do nothing to her so she learns they will not harm her then more praise/treat . If she is not too scared move on to making a clipping noise near her face but doing nothing again treat/ praise. Next remove one bit of hair treat /praise and progress very slowly from there.

If she is really scared don't force her, go at her pace and backtrack if she is scared at any stage, don't sympathise always use a bright matter- of- fact voice ..

Dogsey Junior

14-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #3

There was a problem when she was small....We had groomers to the house and they were a bit rough when they were puppies...........I would think there may have been a problem because she had a very short section almost bald on her nose..............a tiny cut...........I clipped her coat no problem but as soon as her head is approached she throws a wobbly......I put the clippers on the floor and tried to play a game with her. I suppose it will take time and patience..............She is a sweetie all round really.............

Global Moderator

14-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyv32
There was a problem when she was small....We had groomers to the house and they were a bit rough when they were puppies...........I would think there may have been a problem because she had a very short section almost bald on her nose..............a tiny cut...........I clipped her coat no problem but as soon as her head is approached she throws a wobbly......I put the clippers on the floor and tried to play a game with her. I suppose it will take time and patience..............She is a sweetie all round really.............
..yes the method described above should be done over days if not weeks, very slowly.

How short are you clipping, for very short clipped bits Hauptner Shears are a good alternative to clippers, they make very little noise

you would only need the tiny ones ...2.5

from here.... click

Dogsey Junior

14-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #5

Great thanks for the information........Much appreciated

Dogsey Junior

14-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #6

Well here is Poppy the offender...Hope it arrives safely

Dogsey Junior

14-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #7

Sorry it is rather large .........................

Global Moderator

14-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #8

..very sweet quite an unusual look for a Yorkie but lovely none the less

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Yorkies
14-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #9

My friend had the same problems with her male yorkie...she found she managed to clip him when she sat in the bath with him...without the water in it...seems he allows her to clip him when he is in a different environment and the bath is where he feels fine for her to bath him and so he's ok with clipping....I know it sounds funny but it really works.lovely dog, really cute

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: ECS's,chinese crested pp
14-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #10

I always use one hand to hold the combed out hair like hairdressers do then cut it like that all the way round its a good way of making sure you get a perfectly round head like a westie and your fingers would be providing a barrier between her face and the scissors,it would be safer should she suddenly move and she might feel safer as she can't see the scissors in action.I also use thinning scissors on heads,it gives a softer finish and they are blunt ended-handy with a nervous or skittish dog.